5 pounds ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angels004

Aquarium Advice Regular
i think the bottom of my tank looks a bit plain, so im going to get some pebbles u may think this is a dumb question but hey its something i need to know before i buy them. Would 5 pounds of pebbles be enough to fill a 20gl. or would i need to get 10 pounds ?
I also need to know if 5lbs would cover a 10gl. ?

-Help is much appreciated

I think the general "rule" is one pound of gravel per gallon. I like a little less in my tanks, just because I think its easier to clean. Start out with ten pounds, if you think it does not look like enough, you can always add more.

There are no dumb questions here! :wink:

Do you have some kind of substrate there already? What kind? Are these pebbles meant to accent what you've already got?

The rule of thumb is 1 pound of substrate per gallon. This will usually give you a depth of 2 - 3 inches. So for a 20 gal, you would need 20 pounds to completely cover the bottom. If you just want to add another texture to an already existing substrate, then 5 pounds should be OK for a 20 gal.

Yes, 10 pounds. That's what we used for my daughter's 10 gal. We bought some natural pebbles that look really great... that is if you like the natural look.

Back
Top Bottom