50 Gallon Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 50gallon planted tank is looking good these days.
Along with silica sand and wisteria, amazon swords, and cryptocoryne plants, i've got:
6 Dwarf Spotted Danios
2 Peppered Cory Cats
4 Sterbai Cory Cats
1 juvenile BN Pleco
2 Red Platies
1 white Molly (2nd just died unexpectedly, waiting for pet store to get more to replace her company)
10 Neon Tetras

The tank sustains nicely at this stock, and it takes a week for the Nitrates to hit 40ppm. 25%PWC takes care of that. According to Aqadvisor, i'm at 70% capacity.

I'm going between leaving it as-is, upping my (all female) Platies and Molly stock, adding my Peppered Cories when the shop gets them, or going for something new.

Any ideas?

My 50gallon planted tank is looking good these days.
Along with silica sand and wisteria, amazon swords, and cryptocoryne plants, i've got:
6 Dwarf Spotted Danios
2 Peppered Cory Cats
4 Sterbai Cory Cats
1 juvenile BN Pleco
2 Red Platies
1 white Molly (2nd just died unexpectedly, waiting for pet store to get more to replace her company)
10 Neon Tetras

The tank sustains nicely at this stock, and it takes a week for the Nitrates to hit 40ppm. 25%PWC takes care of that. According to Aqadvisor, i'm at 70% capacity.

I'm going between leaving it as-is, upping my (all female) Platies and Molly stock, adding my Peppered Cories when the shop gets them, or going for something new.

Any ideas?
Those nitrates are kind of high. Do you have them coming out of your tap? You really would like for nitrates to be around 10, more than that can lead to long term health problems for fish,especially the cories. I would up the water changes to 50% weekly

Those nitrates are kind of high. Do you have them coming out of your tap? You really would like for nitrates to be around 10, more than that can lead to long term health problems for fish,especially the cories. I would up the water changes to 50% weekly
I agree partially. I wouldn't allow them to go near 40. To solve this, do bi-weekly water changes of 25% or 50%.

Interesting. For planted tanks, I've read that 40 was fine but not to let it get much above that...
Either way, i'll increase the PWCs and see how that affects things. Can't hurt...

Back
Top Bottom