50 gallon planted stocklist help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Its a 36" long tank moderatly planted. I wanted a school of rainbows and a pair of gbr's at least. However I would like a school of barbs or something too if possible. Any suggestions?

School of rainbows, I suggest:
-boesmani
-australian
-praecox
-millenium
-yellow
-madagascar

School of barbs...I would recommend cherry or odessa barbs. You could also try deeper bodied tetras, or bigger danios/rasboras.

Were you thinking of anything else?

bruinsbro1997 said:
School of rainbows, I suggest:
-boesmani
-australian
-praecox
-millenium
-yellow
-madagascar

School of barbs...I would recommend cherry or odessa barbs. You could also try deeper bodied tetras, or bigger danios/rasboras.

Were you thinking of anything else?

Yeah I wanted the boesmani rainbows and a pair of rams and apistos. Then an extra school of.something. I kinda like tiger barbs but I'm definitely open minded. I'm not a fan of tetras though.

So this is after the first trip to the lfs. Not to bad but I'm not happy with it yet. I want tto add at least double the amount of plants. Right nnow the only stock is 3 boesmani rainbows, ill add another 3 or 4 to fill out the school a little later in the week. Also get more plants.

ForumRunner_20111218_205349.jpg

Remember the plants will also take time to grow in. My tank looks waaaaaaay different now than it did 4 months ago.

That's true bein patient is so hard. I put in root tabs and got seachem Comprehensive to dose weekly like it said. Any good plants you could suggest I add? I want a good ground cover. The light is a 42 Watt t5no, however I'm going to buy another one to add some Watts. Any suggestions aare more then welcome

Bully405Customz said:
That's true bein patient is so hard. I put in root tabs and got seachem Comprehensive to dose weekly like it said. Any good plants you could suggest I add? I want a good ground cover. The light is a 42 Watt t5no, however I'm going to buy another one to add some Watts. Any suggestions aare more then welcome

Consider dosing seachem Excel if you aren't doing CO2.

I like dwarf sag for groundcover.
What plants are in there so far?

I like rotala, wisteria, moneywort, of course these are just some of the plants I enjoy growing.

Cabomba, a bulb plant which I forgot the name of, a type of Java fern and Java moss. I can change to excel easily. Will have to wait a bit till I go back to the lfs again. And ill look that ground cover up.

Yeah I wanted the boesmani rainbows and a pair of rams and apistos. Then an extra school of.something. I kinda like tiger barbs but I'm definitely open minded. I'm not a fan of tetras though.

If the rainbows and rams are all you would add, tiger barbs might be okay, but then again there's a risk I see with rams and tiger barbs together. I don't know anything about tiger barbs from experience, so I can't say.

And my heart isn't set on the baby tears. I just want a good ground cover

I wouldn't recommend baby tears either. They're hard to grow, need high light and need good CO2 injection. It's expensive upkeep. I would say pygmy chain sword or dwarf sag.

So this is after the first trip to the lfs. Not to bad but I'm not happy with it yet. I want tto add at least double the amount of plants. Right nnow the only stock is 3 boesmani rainbows, ill add another 3 or 4 to fill out the school a little later in the week. Also get more plants.

View attachment 66207

WOW, your tank looks WAY different than from before! I still remember it had-if memory serves right, correct me if I'm wrong-a goldfish, angels, and a pleco.

I personally like rotala, wisteria, ludwiga, red cabomba (although that has the same requirements as baby tears too), hygrophillia, and if you really want a nitrate eater, hornwort. How many bulbs can fit into the fixture?

Cabomba, a bulb plant which I forgot the name of, a type of Java fern and Java moss. I can change to excel easily. Will have to wait a bit till I go back to the lfs again. And ill look that ground cover up.

Is the cabomba green or red?

I think I'm gonna pass on the barbs and just have a nicer school of boesmani rainbows with some rams. Your memory does serve you right however that was my 4' tank which busted on me and turned into a 150 gallon Malawi tank. Lol ill have to check into that ground cover. And its the green version. I hope I answered all your questions. Lol oh it's a 2 bulb fixture, 21 Watts per bulb. I plan on getting another fixture exactly like it later this week.

also I want to stay away from co2 completely if at all possible.
Also one more aspect I'm excited about is being able to have shrimp! And my heart isn't set on rams either, maybe kribs. Or something similar

I really like the look of rainbows in a planted tank. And you don't have to have CO2 as long as you don't want super high light requiring plants... Although I have noticed a big difference since I started dosing Excel.

I don't mind all the frets and ill have just under 2 Watts per gallon after I get the last fixture. And I love the rainbows too I just hadn't had a place for them until now. Excited.

My rainbows are so shy, the just dart into the plants as soon as I walk in. I tried feeding but they are to scared to ccome out and eat

Hi. IMO, danios such as a shoal of giant danios would be a nice addition. i have 8 in my 55g and they are awesome.

regarding co 2, i just use plain gravel and fertilizer tabs and the plants are doing very well.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom