50 gallon stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im contemplating giving up my two small common goldfish, unless I come up with a miraculous amount of money so I can buy a larger tank, but I'm thinking I could change this from goldfish to a community tank or something...
what are my stocking options? and what slightly bigger fish can I get than tetras or guppies? could I get a centerpiece fish thats larger than a dwarf gourami? anyways, any ideas would be awesome, thanks!

according to aqadvisor you could do
6-boesmani rainbowfish,
1-blue gourami,
1-angelfish,
and 6-of any type of cory (i like juli corys)

Don't listen to aqadvisor, I'd say.

If you are putting a good number of fish in, just clean the tank more regularly.

I agree with james. If you've kept fish before you can kind of eyeball it.

Change of plans
I recently added some neon tetras and a couple cherry shrimp to my betta tank-and switched it to a 20 gal Hes totally fine with them. Im going to switch everything around but in the end Id like my betta as a centerpiece fish for the 50 gal... which limits my choices, do you think bleeding heart tetras would get along with him? and what are other suggestions... I love guppies and totally want them, and with 50 gallons would that be enough room for them to be ok? Im going to switch it to a planted tank hopefully and there will be a lot of things the fish can hide in or whatever... so I dont know anything about stocking tanks at this size... I have no idea how many fish I can get... since I had goldfish the tank has double the filtration, a 50 and 70 AquaClear for the 50 gallon... so any stocking ideas to mix and have schools with, or just chill around with my betta? size of schools I need info on too lol so ya... any ideas would be great.

what about small schools? could I get just ... more small schools? Right now I have the 5 tetras and he's fine with that... I wanted to make it like 11 but is that too many?

id say just make it 6 but i mean you could try just have a back up plan if he looks stressed all bettas have different personalities so one might not care other might.

As Long as the tetras are peaceful ( not nippy like serpaes ) your betta will be fine no matter what.

i like black skirt tetras i recently have seen fruit tetras which look like skirts but colorful there are congos buenos aires neons cardinal penguins silvertip but not serpae the are fin nippers most stay under the 3 in mark most are very peaceful in schools but somecan be nippy here's a list of tetras FishProfiles.com - Profile List
oh and what color is your betta it might would look good with mosquito rasboras

Well he's red with a bit of bright blue starting to come on his fins... but he's 4 or 5 and don't know how long he'll last :( but then Ill be able to rescue another one :)

oh see if he were blue or maybe white then id say the mosquito rasbore bc theyre red guppies would look good with a betta bc theyre colorful too but it do silvertip tetras bc theyre peaceful smaller and yellow

also, Im in love with mollies... would they be ok with a betta? My pet store keeps them in fresh water, would that be ok since thats what theyre used to, or should I not get them since theyre sort of brackish?

see mollies can live in fresh but are more prone to ick bc of no salt and they dont live as long. and noo silvertips will not nip and mosquito rasboras definently wont and in your 55 something rally cool would be fget the red mosquito rasboras with your betta and getting blue gravel and blue plants and a blue background(if you could do this, but youd have to do it slowly so that you dont have to re-cycle the tank.

Meh I have a weakness for Mbuna. I'd stock about 15 in there. Maybe three species at a 1:4 ratio or possibly four at a 1:3 male to female.

That's just me though. I've not encountered a single freshwater fish with more color and personality than Mbuna. I love mine.

haha when i saw this i was like cichlid tank! but the poster wants community :( id do rams myself though.

Back
Top Bottom