50 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What might work in a 50 gallon that would go along with four small clowns loaches, two balas, two plec's and a half dozen kulih loaches? We're looking for a fish(s) that would grow to a decent size.

Rainbows are the first that come to mind. There are others, but I will just suggest rainbows (they come in all sorts).
Keep in mind that your clown loaches will definitely get to a "decent size" of 6+ inches. I don't know how large the balas get. What kind of plecos do you have?

One common and one bristle nose. Yeah, we've had the clowns for about a year now, they're only at two inches. My dad still has a set from when I was six, they take a long time to grow. When we get our house they're going to get their own 75 gallon, but thats still a few years off. I'd like to have some sort of semi aggressive cichlid or something.

The khuli loaches will be treated like spaghetti by a semi aggressive before too long. The clown loaches may also get picked on by an African cichlid.
How big of a fish do you want to add? Did you have any in mind?

Bala's get to a nice "decent size" of 8+ inches. With a maximum around 14-16 inches, if they have enough room. The common pleco will max out around 18 inches, though the bristle should stay around 5 inches. You've already got quite a few 'heavy hitters' in this tank for a 55 gallon.

Cichlids are best kept only with other cichlids, though some combinations are possible. They're also rather aggressive (Most varieties) and would probably harass your other fish.

The tank seems pretty full, but if you want to know a fish that grows to a "decent" size and is known to live with what you've got, tinfoil barbs come to mind. Beware though, they're another 6+ inch fish.

There's also silver dollars, an 8 incher, and pink kissing gourami's, which can hit 12 inches.

We're not sure yet, obviously something like a JD or an Oscar wouldn't work, I don't think the loaches would be bothered much, they k's just hide in the rock work. Just something between 6 and 8 inches with a little color and a little attitude.

Keep in mind, the larger cichilds will excavate the substrate and can catch fish in the substrate.

"Attitude" for any cichlid means it pretty much rips non-cichlids apart ;p Oscars are actually one of the less aggressive cichlids, they're only aggressive with their own kind.. to other cichlids, they're actually kind of wimpy and can get beat up. But they'll eat anything they can get their mouth around.

I'd really suggest avoiding the cichlids until such a time you can make a tank that caters just to cichlids.

Severums are extremely agressive during spawning from what I've heard. Plus clown loaches are generally kept with african's not new world cichlids. If you put any even semi agressive cichlid with your kuhli's they will be eaten--guaranteed. Keep in mind that any cihlid will grow at a very fast pace. Thus the 2 inch clown loaches may eventually become picked on once the cichlids outgrow it. Also your Balas are probably gonna be picked on mercilessly by the cichlids as well

Aren't Rams fairly peaceful? I don't know anything about them and I don't know their scientific name to look them up but I know that people have recommended them before as fairly peaceful.

Personally, I think a variety of types of tiger barbs would add the same type of color and personality to your tank without alot of the hassles.

Back
Top Bottom