55 gal glass tank is bowing......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaydog88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an old 55 gal glass aquarium made in 1979 that doesn't have a center brace. The glass 3/8 inch thick though. It bows about 2/8" - 3/8" when filled. Is this the norm for an old aquarium or should i look into putting a new frame with brace on top?

The seals were overall in good shape except for the corners from top to bottom so i resealed it. Doesn't leak though and have had it up for 1 month now with no problems. Just don't know if this is acceptable though.

I would definitely brace it; 55 gallons of water on the floor is a veritable flood ;)

Any sort of bowing, especially near a half inch, is unacceptable IMHO.

Your options are to build some sort of clamp system or buy a new top rim section for it. Unfortunatly both options will probably requireyou to empty the tank most of the wayso that you are placing too much pressure on the glass during the repair.

But I would do something, cause you don't want that much water coming out (bad for the carpet, bad for the fish).

if this tank has made it the past 24 years without issue, why do you feel the need to fix it now?

my 29 gallon tank, which is only about 2 years old has a bow of almost 1/4", the only reason I noticed is my custom made canopy doesn't fit quite like I wanted because of the bow

I have not tested my 30 gallon for bowing, as it doesn't concern me.

if the glass is truely 3/8" thick, it's more than strong enough to handle the stess, provided your silcone is intact and has good tight joints.

Just wander over to your local welder and ask him to weld to gether a piece X long, with a X long downpointing tab on each end.

Have a friend or five gingerly squeeze the tank back into position, slip the new "brace" on and gently let go of the tank.

It wont' be pretty, but it fixes it.

any ammount of bow is unexceptable, it means the glass is taking more stress than it should.

And as we know, stress...after time [ days, months, years, ect ] will eventually cause something to breka

justDIY said:
if this tank has made it the past 24 years without issue, why do you feel the need to fix it now?

my 29 gallon tank, which is only about 2 years old has a bow of almost 1/4", the only reason I noticed is my custom made canopy doesn't fit quite like I wanted because of the bow

I have not tested my 30 gallon for bowing, as it doesn't concern me.

if the glass is truely 3/8" thick, it's more than strong enough to handle the stess, provided your silcone is intact and has good tight joints.

The reason i ask is because i purchased it from someone else. He hadn't mentioned any problem or concern with it but said it sat for maybe 8 years without use. He said he just wasn't into fish anymore. As far as the glass thickness is concerned, It is 3/8 inch thick, I measured it. My 40 gal long is only 1/4 inch thick with a center brace. Also, If i lower the water level a little bit, maybe an inch or so, It goes from maybe 3/8 inch bow to 2/8 inch bow. I guess if i'm concerned i will just leave the level a little lower.

I'm betting within the next three months Jay will be posting about how his house was flooded :p

That wasn't very nice...

I am with Gordon in that if the seams are in good shape, it should be ok, I am also partial to the intuition thing.. If you are second guessing it, you may want to do something about it or purchase a new one...

Hehe. I totally agree with AtodaJ. I was gonna suggest that earlier! 'cept I was going to suggest a Paludarium (or whatever it's called now--names are a-shiftin'). A half-land, half-water tank for tidal crabs, frogs, turtles whatever. This would be a very neat set-up, and you could get away with water filling only 1/3-1/2 of the tank.

A 55 gallon tank without a center brace WILL eventually "pop". I've seen this happen. The fact you're already seeing it bow indicates it's in dire need of some additional support. Without that brace, there is tremendous pressure being placed on the joints- and the silicone will eventually give.

I'd suggest either finding a way to brace it- or replace it.

FYI-
I had a 55 gal tank bow in my bio lab, created pressure points on the front of the glass, lab assistant accidentally tapped the glass with a broom handle (done while sweeping). Front of glass cracked and exploded. Water, plants, fish everywhere. Managed to save the fish and the plants. The lab floor was swamped.

:?:

Couldn't you also brace it by putting a rectangular top brace and bottom brace without doing something in the center? For example, take 4 pieces of wood and form a rectangle that will just fit over the top of the tank. Then when the tank is filled with water the top brace will absorb much of the stress. Repeat this process for the bottom of the tank. Wouldn't that strenghen up this puppy without having a center brace? Just curious cuz my 55 gallon tank seems to have this kind of bracing on it.

my concern is that bracing, unless done correctly will lead to glass breakage or seal failure by shifting the pressure and stress.

you have the glass bending out right now and it's releasing stress with that bow, but if you put something around it, the force that made that bow will be directed elsewhere.

btw, you only hear about the failures, there is always another side to any story.

hey guys... just read this entire thread.. i think my 29gal may be bowing a little. the reason we think it may be is because of the way the hood is fitting onto the tank.. it's a little misshaped --- it's an all glass aquarium that i bought brand new in october ... is this normal? the bowing isn't anywhere near 1/4" .. don't want to have a flood =[ i'm going to earthquake proof my new stand tomorrow and want to make sure the tank is okay as well!

More than likely it's the upper frame or the canopy. Those plastics are prone to warping much more than glass.

I have a 45 gal that was bowing since the center brace was removed, then after a few months, I noticed the tinest of stress cracks in the glass, which continued to grow. Screw that, It's now my paludarium and very happy. I don't know the exact mode of elasticity in glass, but did know my wife's reaction to a second floor pool. :whip:

Back
Top Bottom