55 Gal Reconstruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago a friend of my mothers asked James and I to take care of the 55 gal tank that is in her office. When we checked it out we were beside ourselves in the lack of maintence. Apparently the "Fish Man" came around once every 4 or 5 months and cleaned the tank. They haven't had a water change in about a year. They just topped it off. She said that their fish keep dieing and they want to fix that problem. Naturally I tested the water and the Nitrates were so high that the result could not be determined. We have been doing 50% water changes twice a week and it is still off the charts.

Tomorrow James is going to talk with the owner of the business about upgrading the tank. Currently it has an ugf with power heads, no heater, no lights, barely any decor (1 ornament), and the fish include a goldfish and two unknown fish that I have never seen before.

We are going to give him price quotes on new equipment, but I need help with that. I've only purchased 1 hob filter (huge fan of canisters but I think that may be a problem with their tank if we ever stop maintaining it for them)before and that was a long time ago. The filter that we are using has a 10x turnonver rate. I am interested in an Aquaclear for their tank. But to achieve the 10x turnover rate, we would have to use two Aquaclear 70's. Does that seem excessive? If we did that, it would end up being cheaper just to buy a cascade canister. What are you thoughts on this?

Also, the tank does not have a center brace. It is a very old tank. Does anyone know where we can find glass hoods for a 55 gal tank without the center brace? I've never seen glass hoods that big before.

Thanks!

No pwc's for a YEAR? Yikes!!! 8O Glad to hear they enlisted the help of someone that knows what they are doing!

Are you sure it would be cheaper to buy the Cascade (I assume you mean the Cascade 1000)?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22127;category_id=1721;pcid1=2885;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22583;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

I think you would be fine with the AC 110 (500 gph) but I would probably go for the 2 AC 70s if I were you, just to have a filter on each side of the tank. Also great in case one craps out- you just never know. I think you're right about the canister being a better filter, but not necessarily a better choice in this situation in case you stop maintainng it. Most people would be like "OMG!" if they had to do maintenance on one, other than true fishgeeks such as ourselves. The Aquaclears are so easy to maintain that pretty much anyone could do it. I recommend using 2 foam blocks instead of 1 in each filter, putting the Bio Bag on top, and just ditching the carbon.

I have no idea where you would find a glass canopy that size. I searched and couldn't find one, as I'm sure you've done 10 times by now. :wink: Could you just rig up a shop light over the open tank, or maybe see how much it is to have glass cut for you?

Good luck with this tank, it sounds like you two have your work cut out for you.

Thanks for the link Sev. Normally I purchase from Big Al's but they didn't have the gph listed so I checked out Dr. Foster Smith. When I saw their price I just assumed it would be the same on big Al's (I always hear how their prices are similar). I didn't even think to go back and look at their site. lol Brain fart.

Hopefully we will maintain their tank for quite some time. BUT, when we move into a house we won't live 20 feet from their business anymore so who knows if we would still maintain it for them. They could handle a hob, but certainly not a canister. My moms friend has a hard enough time with her mac computer. lol

Thanks for the tip on the foam block! I originally thought just to put in more of the ceramic rings, but I guess it would make sense just to use more foam.

Regarding the hood, I am going to see if James can construct a center brace for them and epoxy it into place. Then use two of the extra 24" glass hoods that we have in storage. I wonder how sturdy that would be.

I don't really see why that wouldn't work, especially if he made the brace a couple inches wide. The normal 55 gal canopies come with 2 that are not quite 24", since they are accounting for the center brace. If James put a brace in there that sat flush against the lip of the tank, then the 24" hoods should fit exactly into place with no wiggle room, right?

Right. The hoods aren't exactly 24", but they came from the kit that we bought. This way he can make the brace to the specific size that is needed. Thanks!

I have the two seperate hoods that fit a 55 gal tank. I actually have three sets, but only use one for our 55 gal. Thanks for the link though! I'm goign to talk to James and see what he thinks would be easier (ordering a 48" hood or just adding a center brace). But I wonder if the epoxy will hold the center brace well enough to hold two hoods.

Could also have some kind of hook on the ends of the brace that goes over the top of the aquarium, or sits flush on the top of the aquarium for added support.

Back
Top Bottom