55 Gal Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many fish should I put in my 55?

Maybe you should answer reconsider your question. Or you could give a bit more information. We have no idea what fish you want to put in your 55 gallon, what the dimensions are, and what your filtration is. We could be here all day guessing. You could fit two fish in there responsibly, you could fit thirty fish in there responsibly. All dependent on those three variables.

Sorry, I have a Penguin 350 made by Marineland. and currently I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 3 Bala Sharks, 2 Angel Fish, a Blue Crayfish, and a Pleco. Can I add anymore I guess is the question I should have asked in the first place. add it is 4 feet long and 1 foot wide not to sure how tall but it is a 55 if that helps.

Sorry, I have a Penguin 350 made by Marineland. and currently I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 3 Bala Sharks, 2 Angel Fish, a Blue Crayfish, and a Pleco. Can I add anymore I guess is the question I should have asked in the first place. add it is 4 feet long and 1 foot wide not to sure how tall but it is a 55 if that helps.

Do you by any chance know what kind of pleco it is?

IMO I would say no, I don't think your filtration could handle it. Maybe if you got rid of the three bala sharks (I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those guys need huge tanks, like 120 gallon minimum because they grow a foot long and need schools of five) you could another fish or two. Are you focused on big fish or small fish?

i dont really know what i want at this point but thank you for the help.

Do you by any chance know what kind of pleco it is?

IMO I would say no, I don't think your filtration could handle it. Maybe if you got rid of the three bala sharks (I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those guys need huge tanks, like 120 gallon minimum because they grow a foot long and need schools of five) you could another fish or two. Are you focused on big fish or small fish?

Have to agree with bruinsbro1997. The Balas ... and if it you have a Common Pleco ... will end up taxing the filtration and size of the tank. The Balas and Common Pleco get over a foot long ... and with size come increased waste. If they're juveniles now, your fine ... but It it best to rehome them to a larger tank if possible.

IMO ... in a 55gal ... focus on smaller fish like Tetras and Barbs would add a lot of color and activity.

your footprint is pretty big - Standard 55 gallon is 48" x 12" x 21"
You can definitely add more fish, BUT I agree with above and recommend removing the bala sharks

Not only do balas grow big, but they are also fast, highly-active fish. This may stress the angelfish/gourami.
If you decide to keep the bala sharks. It will limit your stocking choices as they require lots of room to swim.

what fish do you have in mind to add?

i dont really know what i want at this point but thank you for the help.

since you already have angelfish and gouramis, you can transform your tank into a peaceful community tank (y)

Good combos with angelfish/gouramis are corydoras and schooling tetras.
or
swordtails/platy

hope this helps.

So say I got rid of the balas would I be able to add a redtail shark, another angel and 2 more dwarf gouramis?

So say I got rid of the balas would I be able to add a redtail shark, another angel and 2 more dwarf gouramis?

also im thinking about adding another penguin 350

If you added another Penguin it could work.

Maybe not another angel. Chances are your angels are fine the way they are, either the same sex or a pair together. If you add another angel it would probably lead to conflict.

Sure! IME I kept a trio of gold honey DGs and they were like the three musketeers.

red tail shark - yes!
(that would become your bottom feeder)

another angel - maybe....
3 is a bad number. What size are your angelfish at the moment?
If they are juveniles, then i'd recommend getting two angelfish (total of 4)

two more dwarf gouramis - yes, ONLY females though!

also im thinking about adding another penguin 350

PERFECT! that would really make a BIG difference.

Ok so if i dont get another angel could i ad 2 ghost glass catfish in addition

ok so no catfish if im already adding the others then right?

Back
Top Bottom