55 Gallon Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I recently (about 8 weeks ago) started a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I currently have three caves, some rock, and moderate artificial vegetation (pics to come soon).

Fish wise I currently have 5 serpae tetras, 2 neon barbs, and 2 rosy barbs.

From this thread I would like to hear people's advice on what to add, when to add, etc.

I would like to add some cory cats, but I would like to have some medium to top water swimmers or even a calm, docile shark

Open to all suggestions and previous experiences or things/combinations that did not work
Thanks for your advice!

I would up al your current fish schools to 7 of each kind I would make sure to add the barb schools first if I was you. Also I would get a opaline or three spot gourami for your centerpiece. If you have lots of sight blockers and multiple caves you should be able to get 1 red tailed or rainbow shark and a school of 8 corys.

So a final stocking of

1 opaline gourami
7 serpae tetras
7 neon barbs
7 rosy barbs
8 Cory cats ( any type should work)
1 red tailed shark.

techo said:
Hey everyone,

I recently (about 8 weeks ago) started a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I currently have three caves, some rock, and moderate artificial vegetation (pics to come soon).

Fish wise I currently have 5 serpae tetras, 2 neon barbs, and 2 rosy barbs.

From this thread I would like to hear people's advice on what to add, when to add, etc.

I would like to add some cory cats, but I would like to have some medium to top water swimmers or even a calm, docile shark

Open to all suggestions and previous experiences or things/combinations that did not work
Thanks for your advice!

Here is what I have and it looks great and everyones happy. Remember just because you got a big tank overstocking is possible plus consider how often you want to clean the thing.

2 Boseman rainbows
1 australian rainbow
1 neon blue rainbow
2 cory catfish
3 danios which when they die im not replacing. I think they put the tank over the top.
1 Bolivian ram
1 kribensis chiclid
1 6" pleco
1 gold gourami
2 clown loaches. Now I know clowns are going to get to big for a 55 but once they reach about an inch they have been growing really slow. Im guessing I get to keep them for years.

Bottom line go with the 1" per gallon but remember the more you stock the more you gotta clean.

Pictures of my setup right now

Whole Tank:

jpg.gif

Left Side:

jpg.gif

Middle:

jpg.gif

Right Side:

jpg.gif

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Middle.jpg
    Middle.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 56
  • whole tank.jpg
    whole tank.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 51
Pics of my tank

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Middle.jpg
    Middle.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 52
  • whole tank.jpg
    whole tank.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 51
If you want s shark make sure to have 2 completely dark type of caves where you can't see them from the outside.

josh7 said:
If you want s shark make sure to have 2 completely dark type of caves where you can't see them from the outside.

Well if you want shark remember the size. I had a Bala shark and had to remove him not because a 55 isn't long enough but there was just to much. They need a lot of swimming room. A red tailed are usually the best as they are smaller and don't mind the decor as much.

Tank looks great. Remember a good way to make your (well at least mine) is to make sections like caves using plants. Here are some new pictures of mine with my new tall plants. You can see how my tank has like 3 sections now one in the middle and two sides.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120326_174657.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120326_174657.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20120326_174705.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120326_174705.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20120326_174713.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120326_174713.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom