55 gallon angelfish and kuhli loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hellofrresh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
So I was planning on setting up a 55 gallon tank as the title suggest, it would include 1 angelfish and i was hoping for 10 kuhli loachs, but i would like as many as i could get without making them uncomfortable, I was planing not to have only the main type of kuhli loach, but i was also planing to have 1 or 2 of the sub-types, if what i have read is true then they should all school together anyhow. Thanks in advanced for responding! :thanks:
Edit: sorry, i forgot about filtration, water changes and substrate,
I normaly do 50% water changes a week on my 55 gallons, so that's about what I was planing to do for them, but i can scale it up or down, depending on whats needed, for a filter I have a aqua clear, I think it is a 150, for substrate i am going with a sand and fine gravel mix.
Edit 2: I was have plants in the aquarium, if needed I can take out the plants and put them in with my shrimp.

I believe that 50% water change every week might be bad, u want to leave some of the water so bacterias dont disappear...correct me if im wrong
Hello all,
So I was planning on setting up a 55 gallon tank as the title suggest, it would include 1 angelfish and i was hoping for 10 kuhli loachs, but i would like as many as i could get without making them uncomfortable, I was planing not to have only the main type of kuhli loach, but i was also planing to have 1 or 2 of the sub-types, if what i have read is true then they should all school together anyhow. Thanks in advanced for responding! :thanks:
Edit: sorry, i forgot about filtration, water changes and substrate,
I normaly do 50% water changes a week on my 55 gallons, so that's about what I was planing to do for them, but i can scale it up or down, depending on whats needed, for a filter I have a aqua clear, I think it is a 150, for substrate i am going with a sand and fine gravel mix.
Edit 2: I was have plants in the aquarium, if needed I can take out the plants and put them in with my shrimp.

I believe it changes depending on your bioload, the only reason why I do that on my other 55 gallons is because they have a very large bioload, I no longer think im going to do 50% on this tank though unless it gets to much of a bioload

Thats exaclty what i started doing with mine ( 20g tank), sometimes 25% or 35%. There are even a few times where it takes almost 2 weeks for me to make the change. But as u said, the biology of your system will tell you.

Thank you

Why only one angelfish? They are much happier and healthier in groups.I don't think large water changes are harmful because bacteria mostly are not in the water but in the substrate or filter or on rocks,etc. So 50% is not too much.

Hello, I only wanted to go with one because they can be aggressive in groups, would I be able to go with a pair, or would they be to aggressive to the loaches while in a pair?

Hello, all, i decided while looking at stocking options I decided to go with Cory catfish instead, the rest should be the same

50% water changes per week are perfect since the *Beneficial Bacteria* are mostly on the decor, in/on the gravel and on/in your filter media NOT in the water. You can even do larger ones up to 75% if you think there is an issue with your water quality. As long as you keep the Cories in a minmum school of 4 (more is ALWAYS better) you will be fine.

Cool! How many corys do you think i could go with if I get only 1 angelfish?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for bad grammar I’m on my phone right now.

Where are you planning on getting your Angels from a smaller local fish store or a *big box* pet store? If a smaller store I would go in ahead of time talk to the owner/fish person and see what they recommend for Angels. I do agree that a *pair* of fish will be less miserable than a single. I would make sure you have plants in a variety of sizes and some driftwood or large/tall ornaments to break up sight lines and provide some *secluded* places for them to get out of each others sight if they need to. Angels have their own personality so don't go by what someone elses did. Since you mention you have another tank I am *assuming* you know about cycling ect. As for Cories I'd start with 6-8 and see how they do.

ok, I planned on getting it from a small store near me that has lots of angelfish, with many different personality and colors and plenty of pairs, and i will for sure have plenty of plants, driftwood and things to break up the line of sight, If I were to go with the angel fish would that stop any success that would happen with breeding the corys or the angel fish? Also thank you earhtmother for answering so many of my questions!

I can't really say anything informative about breeding. My Angels and my Cories both laid eggs while in the same tank. Not sure whether any of them were fertile as I never took them out of the tank before they were eaten. I've heard Angels can be protective so having another tank to move any eggs to is probably a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom