55 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiji007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to the forum and i thought this would be a great place to ask my fish questions!

First question- Compatibility... The fish that i would like to put in the tank are: 1 angelfish, 1 synodontis catfish, 2 dojo loaches, 1 African leaf fish, 4 Boesemani rainbow fish, and 1 Siamese algae eater

The only fish that I absolutely don't want are African cichlids, but i am open to any other suggestions.

Thank You.:thanks:

Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to the forum and i thought this would be a great place to ask my fish questions!

First question- Compatibility... The fish that i would like to put in the tank are: 1 angelfish, 1 synodontis catfish, 2 dojo loaches, 1 African leaf fish, 4 Boesemani rainbow fish, and 1 Siamese algae eater

The only fish that I absolutely don't want are African cichlids, but i am open to any other suggestions.

What size tank...

Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to the forum and i thought this would be a great place to ask my fish questions! First question- Compatibility... The fish that i would like to put in the tank are: 1 angelfish, 1 synodontis catfish, 2 dojo loaches, 1 African leaf fish, 4 Boesemani rainbow fish, and 1 Siamese algae eater The only fish that I absolutely don't want are African cichlids, but i am open to any other suggestions. Thank You.:thanks:

I don't know for sure, I just know I have 1 black angel, 2 synodontis catfish, 1 Chinese algea eater, 1 red tailed shark, 3 gouramis, 2 red/blue paradise, 1 butterfly cichlid, 3 black mollies, and 3 Cory's. Everyone is doing well. Everyone has hides holes, plants and tunnels. I have some Trapdoor snails, trumpet snails and pond snails as well for a cleaning crew. I only see the synodontis when it's dark. They have all been together for a month. The angel, synodontis, red tailed shark, and algea eater have been together for about a year.

Hmm,the angelfish is good. You have to be picking on a synodintis cat, since they all look very similar when younger, mabye try a Raphael cat instead since they are a sure match. Dojo loaches are cold water fish an like to be in schools of 3 or more so I would look at other types then that. African leaf fish are picky to feed so I would leave that one out 2. Obese mani rainbow fish are one of the larger species but 4 could work in a 55. An last, the Siamese alage eater, avoid this at all cost! They get aggressive and will actually start feeding on the slime coat of fish when they get older.

Instead of a syno cat, try an oil, porthole, or Raphael cat. An for the Siamese algae eater, try oto cats if the tank is planted. Mabe yo-yo loaches instead of dojos

What size tank...

the title says 55....

by leaf fish do you mean leopard ctenopoma? if you want that with an angel, add them both at once and both juveniles. siamese algae eaters get too big for a 55 and very aggressive. have you considered banded kuhli loaches instead of dojos? dojos do better in 72 or less degrees and your other fish are going to need about 76-78 degrees. kuhli loaches are much smaller with a smaller bioload, they prefer to be in groups so you would need at least 6-8

There are 2 fish commonly called african leaf fish. One is leapord ctenpoma the other I dont remember the scientific name. The leapord is cool gets pretty big as well but is safer with smaller fish that the other leaf. The true african leaf fish gets about 3 inches and will eat anything smaller that that if it gets hungry enough. It is actually nkt hard to feed it just has to have live food as it wont touch anything else. It loves ghost shrimp.

Ok... Siamese Algae eaters only get to about 3"-5" and are Very peaceful. CHINESE algae eaters on the other hand Do get big and aggressive, but they are two completely different fish. Kuhli loahes are too small because my filter would suck them right up. I am pretty sure that the African leaf fish is the more slightly aggressive one, but shouldn't bother the other fish because it inhabits it's own part of the tank. I was thinking of getting an upside down catfish as a synodontis. Thank you.

There are 2 fish commonly called african leaf fish. One is leapord ctenpoma the other I dont remember the scientific name. The leapord is cool gets pretty big as well but is safer with smaller fish that the other leaf. The true african leaf fish gets about 3 inches and will eat anything smaller that that if it gets hungry enough. It is actually nkt hard to feed it just has to have live food as it wont touch anything else. It loves ghost shrimp.

Haha true but the poster might live far away from a LFS or might not have a way to ghost shrimp or live food for it

Ok... Siamese Algae eaters only get to about 3"-5" and are Very peaceful. CHINESE algae eaters on the other hand Do get big and aggressive, but they are two completely different fish. Kuhli loahes are too small because my filter would suck them right up. I am pretty sure that the African leaf fish is the more slightly aggressive one, but shouldn't bother the other fish because it inhabits it's own part of the tank. I was thinking of getting an upside down catfish as a synodontis. Thank you.

My bad haha, I just never take any chances on those because bad rap and store mix ups. Yo-yo loaches are larger the khulis and are tropical and an upside down would work great, but make sure you know what a juvie looks like it you'll end up like me with a baby African squeaker

So I was reading about yoyo loaches and was kinda interested. I really like dojo loaches, but if I absolutely have to get yoyo loaches I can. How many yoyo loaches could I have?

Back
Top Bottom