55 gallon bowing. What, me worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lagoonlyrics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
But seriously, do I need to worry? My 55 gallon is older and doesn't have a center brace and I notice that it is bowing 1/8" in the center. From what I've read, an 1/8th inch bow is not significant enough to worry about cracking any time soon but I've also read that any medium or larger tank without a center brace will eventually break. Thoughts?

But seriously, do I need to worry? My 55 gallon is older and doesn't have a center brace and I notice that it is bowing 1/8" in the center. From what I've read, an 1/8th inch bow is not significant enough to worry about cracking any time soon but I've also read that any medium or larger tank without a center brace will eventually break. Thoughts?

Oh I'd be worrying all right! About it cracking, the seals breaking... I don't know what can be done to strengthen it, but if it were me, I'd drop the water level until it can be fixed/replaced.

I'd be worried too! Try to find a 55 gallon on CL for cheap fast! If that breaks, you need to be prepared!

you can buy a replacement brace for the top of your tank from all glass aquariums or you can order one from your lfs . then tank the old top brace of and reseal with new one.

Back
Top Bottom