55 Gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marketfresh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, first inquiry on the forum, love all of the information available here.

I have a 55 gallon fresh aquarium and I am trying to decide on stocking. It is likely nearing the end of its cycle as there is no longer any amonia showing up daily and I am seeing decent amounts of nitrate (of course there is still some daily nitrite as well). In the tank currently are about 10 endlers plus a couple of their fry and 2 black moors along with a beautiful 12" common pleco. Once the nitrogen cycle completes I am trying to plan out some additional community fish that I can add to liven the tank up a little more. As it stands they all seem to just spend their time in one half of the tank with the endlers near the top and the black moors digging around in the sand. Of course, the pleco is all over the place at night, knocking around the black moors with his massive tail.

In my research I have come up with the possibility of puting in 8 or so platties, maybe 6 or 8 zebra danios and maybe another 8 cherry barbs. My question is, how do you all feel about the compatibility of what I've listed as well as other potentials that I could go with. Also, do you feel that is close to a maximum number of fish I could stock or could I afford to fit many more in as well.

Looking forward to any feedback ya'll may provide!

Two things, one are you talking about Black Moor goldfish? If so goldfish are coldwater, high waste fish that should not be kept with tropicals. Second, that pleco is way too big for that size tank and tank mates. They produce incredible amounts of waste "and" they have been known to attach themselves to the sides of goldies to suck their slime coat off, which injuries the goldie.

You need to rehome/sell the pleco and goldies. Then if you want a small pleco suitable for a 55g tank you could look into bristlenose plecos (the longfin albino BNP's are very bright) or rubberlip plecos. Both of these pleco species stay small.

Then you can have your endlers, add platies, and then danio's or barbs. Depending on your filtration and your WC amount and schedule you might be able to have both the danios and barbs. Honestly I'd add one species and see how crowded you tank looks.

Back
Top Bottom