55 Gallon Community Fish Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L0uxi0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm restarting my 55 gallon fish tank, and was wondering if my stocking idea would be ok, because I feel like I'm overstocking. The tank will be a heavily planted tank. I have a 10 gallon nano tank with some fish in it at the moment and plan to transfer all the fish in that tank to my 55 (I'll include the fish in the nano tank in my stocking list). I'm turning this 10 gallon tank into a hospital/quarantine tank. Also, do be alarmed that I have a male betta in the tank, he is probably the most friendly betta ever, and I've never seen him flare at other fish. So my stocking idea is as follows:
(I'll do them from top dwellers, to bottom dwellers)

Zebra Danios (10)
Male Super Delta Tail Betta (1)
Dwarf Gourami (Pair)
Guppies (10)
Platies (8)
Mollies (8)
Rummy Nose Tetras (10)
Neon Tetras (10)
Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid (Pair)
German Rams (Pair)
Panda Corydoras (2)
Juili Corydoras (2)
Bronze Corydoras (2)
Amano Shrimp (10)
Nerite Snails (10)
:thanks:

That seems a bit overcrowded to me, but I've never had a 55 before, so don't take my word for it. You may run into conflicts between the corys and the cichlids, however. Both species of cichlids make nests at the substrate level, and the catfish have no sense of space or boundaries, so the cichlids might get aggressive with them, defending their space.

Yeah not a great stocking list IMO, the live-bearers will quickly overstock the tank in no time and the gourami might be aggressive towards the betta. Also cories like to be in group of 6+ with their own type so I would up those to at least 5 of each. You also have too many nerite snails I think, shouldn't need more then 5-6. The dwarf Cichlids should be ok but with having 2 pairs and a pair of gourami they might start being territorial in a 55. Also with the filtration you'll need for a 55 I don't think you can put the betta in, he'll most likely get pushed around by the filter and slowly die of exhaustion and not get any food at feeding time

Not sure if overstocked, but it seems like to much of a veriety actually. I would consider consolidating some of the spicies. Like one type of cories instead of 3 as they likely not to school together and one kind of tetras for same reason. Can't say anything about your choice of live-bearers. Rams will really want to be in a warmer environment then your other fish would like so I'd skip on those here.

Back
Top Bottom