55 gallon discus vs planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its time i change up my 55 gallon aquarium and i have been thinking about doing either a chiclid tank or a planted tank. It has a play sand substrate and is just a tank with water in it nothing else atm i am not sure what to do so any help would be great i can also purchase a light to grow the plants if i need too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How about a discus planted tank? No vs...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about a discus planted tank? No vs...

I mean that would be awesome but i am working on stocking my 155G saltwater tank and discus are expensive so I'm trying to balance out and make both tanks look nice. And like an african chiclid tank would be easy i think because i can get all my own rocks from outside fir free limiting costs i am only 16 and don't have a job right now due to basketball season so i am trying to stock my tanks with what i have saved till about the end of February

Oh.... I didnt see anything about africans... My bad. I thought you were tryin to decide on discus or a planted.

Oh.... I didnt see anything about africans... My bad. I thought you were tryin to decide on discus or a planted.

No sorry i never put what type of chiclid in the post so my bad but i think africans would be nice or just a peaceful community tank

Peacock cichlids are fairly peaceful (for africans) and colorful.

Peacock cichlids are fairly peaceful (for africans) and colorful.

What other chiclids can go with them i want small ones like yellow labs and stuff and also any idea how many chiclids I could keep in a 55

The amount all depends on the species... I dont mix my peacocks with other cichlids. If you like yellow labs, you could just do a mixed male mbuna tank.

The amount all depends on the species... I dont mix my peacocks with other cichlids. If you like yellow labs, you could just do a mixed male mbuna tank.

What about like an all yellow lab tank then how many could i keep

55gl...... Full grown... Safe side 6--- overstocking a bit (usual for mbunas) 10.

55gl...... Full grown... Safe side 6--- overstocking a bit (usual for mbunas) 10.

Not bad then is there a type of chiclid that is really small like 3" or smaller

Yes... Not sure abt in africans though. I only keep peacocks and nyeryri reds for africans.

Shellies!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Shellies do seem to be quite the hott ticket right now. Might wanna check them out. Nice call feeshobsessed

Yes... Not sure abt in africans though. I only keep peacocks and nyeryri reds for africans.

So I guess i have one more question i think i would like a planted tank over chiclids. So with that being said can live plants grow in play sand with CFL bulbs ?

Oh yeah, sure can... Youll just need ferts and root tabs. Sand is inert. This can be supplemented through ferts and root tabs. This question and answer are kind of "loaded" as alot of it will depend on what your planted goals are. Like which plants and such. Co2 is a must for some things to do their thing.

Oh yeah, sure can... Youll just need ferts and root tabs. Sand is inert. This can be supplemented through ferts and root tabs. This question and answer are kind of "loaded" as alot of it will depend on what your planted goals are. Like which plants and such. Co2 is a must for some things to do their thing.

Well i would like just some easy low light beginner plants but i could make a diy CO2 and i will just buy some of the ferts then. Thank you so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom