55 gallon fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LisaTuron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I recently purchased a new 55gallon fish tank. Set it up. Hob filter, bubble wand, gravel, temp 80-82 degrees, keeping off the lights. Added water conditioner and some bacteria in a bottle. My tap water is reads 1.0 on the API color card. I added about 7mls of pure ammonia from ace hardware store. Tested water and results were between 4 and 5 on the API card. A few days ago I noticed a strange smell. It's like a dirty musty smell. it's been about 9 days. I don't have media from an established fish tank. The only thing I did was three days after I started I changed one of my filter cartridges to a filter pad and some ceramic balls. Left the other filter cartridge in place. My ammonia reading has stayed at 4, no nitrites or nitrates. I'm I doing things right? Should I add a little more ammonia? Shouldn't I see some nitrites by now? Any suggestion would be great coz I'm totally new to this.
Thanks.

Dont add anymore ammonia until it drops to 1ppm or lower. When cycling a tank from scratch (no cycled media), it can take 2-4wks for an intial ammonia drop. Once you see obvious ammonia drops, you can start testing for nitrites. No need to test for them any sooner. You can bump the temp up to the mid-eighties (84-86f) to help as well. Hang in there! :)

Back
Top Bottom