55 gallon freshwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it still a fishless cycle if a snail gets in there from putting plants in there?

technically, no, but it's not really an issue, and some pest snails are fine in the high ammonia levels. Although it does question the purpose of cycling fishless to begin with, if the goal was to prevent any chance of a creature being potentially harmed in the cycling process.

Is clear ammonia what I use to aid progression? All I could find was clear ammonia, it has no additives.

Awesome. Shook it like crazy and no foam other than normal bubbles from surface agitation.

Man, one day jeta will link my guide and I'll throw a party...after I wake up from passing out, haha! :D

Btw, there's a guide in my sig to check out, lol.

Man, one day jeta will link my guide and I'll throw a party...after I wake up from passing out, haha! :D

Btw, there's a guide in my sig to check out, lol.

You know I can't do that, I think fishless cycling is silly.

On a serious note, it's because that guide is a staple on here, it's probably been linked to over 10k times already, so I assume everyone has already read it or at least heard of it.

jetajockey said:
You know I can't do that, I think fishless cycling is silly.

On a serious note, it's because that guide is a staple on here, it's probably been linked to over 10k times already, so I assume everyone has already read it or at least heard of it.

True. It's surprising how many people have never seen the stickys section though. I'm assuming the OP hasn't seen it hence the questions.

I can still dream. One day :D

Well if I do a fish in cycle how big are my chances of my goldfish getting sick from ammonia and trite build up? How big of a water change would suffice in a 55 with five goldfish in

The chances all depend on how well you monitor the water quality. There's nothing wrong with fishless cycling, I just rather do it fish-in with seeded media, or with plants.

A few small goldfish in a 55g won't likely build up the toxin levels in any super fast way unless there is overfeeding. The water change schedule just depends on how the ammonia and nitrite tests read, but a general plan that I use for a tank that size with 3 or 4 small fish is a 50% water change every 3 to 4 days and feed very sparingly for the first 8 weeks of tank setup.

Now hold now :). I just want what's best for my goldfish. I'm not exactly a newbie.

I didn't mean anything by that, I just meant that most everyone I know that has been fishkeeping for a while just transfers media over or uses plants to cycle tanks, doing water changes as needed. After a while it seems like it's easier to pickup on when things are out of wack and to know what to do to remedy any potential issues.

Fish-in cycling can be done safely and effectively if done correctly, but it's definitely something that can be avoided by fishless cycling if you aren't completely confident in it.

Back
Top Bottom