55 gallon Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you should be fine with that stock list as long as you take it slow. My only suggestion is to cut back on your school of cories, maybe keep 4-5 instead of 8, since you'll have too many bottom dwellers IMO if you add all 8 with the kuhlis.

I think you should be fine with that stock list as long as you take it slow. My only suggestion is to cut back on your school of cories, maybe keep 4-5 instead of 8, since you'll have too many bottom dwellers IMO if you add all 8 with the kuhlis.

Thnx SM. So I'll change it to 5 cories. I will only add fish one week at a time. Should I add kuhlis b4 the pearl gouramis or leave it the same?

Doesn't really matter. Kuhlis and pearls won't pay any attention to each other.

Doesn't really matter. Kuhlis and pearls won't pay any attention to each other.

Thank you. Temperature is still 77F. Probably add some plants 2moro. 2 java ferns and an apongeton bulb that had sprouted from walmart. Water still cloudy. Power went off today so I moved the seeding material from the filter to the aquarium. I put the bio sponges or whatever they're called back in the filter and kept the other seeding material in the tank.

Day 3

My water has definately cleared up. I'd show u a picture butmy camera doesn't notice the difference yet. The temp went down to 75F so I'll need to get a heater soon after cycling. Other than that no major changes. The activated carbon definately helped clear up the tank.

I added some decor, a large rock and a terra cotta pot.
3795680790_fef29b0758.jpg

3794855829_89902115b0.jpg

Looks good. You could use that extra pfs to hadd a few hills in there. I would get another bag of pfs and have the sand at like a 1" depth then slope it up to a 2"-2.5" depth in the back. Then, get like 2 smaller pots and place them in the slope. Just what I would do.

Looks good. You could use that extra pfs to hadd a few hills in there. I would get another bag of pfs and have the sand at like a 1" depth then slope it up to a 2"-2.5" depth in the back. Then, get like 2 smaller pots and place them in the slope. Just what I would do.

Thanks that's a good idea.

No problem.

Depending on how many watts the fixture is you may need to inject co2 and ferts otherwise algae will take advantage of that extra light. I would go for it.

There are little kits that you can buy at your lfs. Then there is the DIY yeast, sugar, and warm water method. Last but not least there is the pressurized co2, but this way is a bit pricey.

I'll look at the diy method. I know my LFS doen't have any kits and I don't want to pay for the pressurized co2.

Nvm I'll just get a Better bulb I don't want to affect my pH. I might get one of those plant bulbs that way I can at least grow more than just java ferns, moss and anubias. Not that there is anything wrong with those I just want more variety.

You could have 2x54w T5HO over your tank and be fine without co2. You'd have like mediumish light and have alot more plant choices. Then you could get some fast growing plants to help prevent algae outbreaks.

You could have 2x54w T5HO over your tank and be fine without co2. You'd have like mediumish light and have alot more plant choices. Then you could get some fast growing plants to help prevent algae outbreaks.

Really? Thnx. Btw I finally finished my essay.

I have that exact fixture on my 55 and love it! While it does get hot, its never too hot to touch with your bare hands. I have my tank in a stuffy upstairs room with no air conditioning and even so the worst its gotten all summer is 82 degrees.
I switched out one of the T5 bulbs with a blue saltwater bulb though so as not to provide too much plant light and make the algae go crazy. Then again I'm probably just being overly cautious.

I don't think you're being overly cautious. I'd personally recommend CO2 and ferts with 2x 54W HO T5s. I ran a medium light 55 gallon with 130W PC light, and the 108W HO T5 is MUCH brighter. We always had trouble with algae in the shop I worked at in the planted tanks with 108W HO T5.

If you add CO2 to a 55, I'd suggest going pressurized. The DIY method is cheaper, but a lot less effective in that size of a tank. You'd need a ton of 2 liters to make any appreciable difference. Kits like the Hagen Natural Plant system are pretty useless in a 55 too, even if you use 2 kits like I did. Pressurized would be the way to go.

If you don't want to mess with any of this, I'd recommend a 2x 65W PC light. This is pretty much the only time I'd suggest PCs over T5s. ;)

I don't think you're being overly cautious. I'd personally recommend CO2 and ferts with 2x 54W HO T5s. I ran a medium light 55 gallon with 130W PC light, and the 108W HO T5 is MUCH brighter. We always had trouble with algae in the shop I worked at in the planted tanks with 108W HO T5.

If you add CO2 to a 55, I'd suggest going pressurized. The DIY method is cheaper, but a lot less effective in that size of a tank. You'd need a ton of 2 liters to make any appreciable difference. Kits like the Hagen Natural Plant system are pretty useless in a 55 too, even if you use 2 kits like I did. Pressurized would be the way to go.

If you don't want to mess with any of this, I'd recommend a 2x 65W PC light. This is pretty much the only time I'd suggest PCs over T5s. ;)

How come?

Back
Top Bottom