55 gallon Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
DAY 1
Finally Set up my 55 gallon. Here are some pictures of the set up (quite a few). Some are dark and some are blurry but I tried my best.

I used quartz pfs, do you think that's okay. No additives. I was wondering, should I start the cycle even though I don't have any test kits? I was going to do it with fish food instead of ammonia tho.

BTW We had a huge lightning in a yard. It was LOUD. Our power went off too so that delayed my thread.

EDIT: Moved pictures down.

Well, SOUNDS nice.. but.. i dont see any pictures if there are supposed to be pictures lol. Sorry. :/

I see them. Its probably picasa. It does that to some computers. I'll try to repost them.

3790357760_04ca1d48d2.jpg

3789548031_7866b6d92b.jpg

3790373462_2b969a4bbc.jpg

3790370752_9654dd7ae6.jpg

Can you see them now?

The PFS looks great! You can start the cycle whenever, but definitely don't count on being done until you can get a test kit and the results tell you that it's done.

You may need to reset the internet.

The PFS looks great! You can start the cycle whenever, but definitely don't count on being done until you can get a test kit and the results tell you that it's done.

My lfs tests water. After a month could I take it there? Should it say
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: any ?

Should I change water while cycling?

Also, fyi, in a little I will put some food in there and wait an hour then add the seeding material so it will have food. My temp is high (I filled it with warm water) and without a heater it is 84. It will probably only go down to 78 like my other tanks. Do I really need a 200w heater? I just need to make sure it doesn't fluctuate. Thnx. :scatter:

Looks really good so far. When the cycle is complete you should see those numbers, don't worry about PWCs during the cycle just do a big one after to get the nitrates down. As far as the heater either go with a 200w or 2 100w for redundancy and more even heating of the tank.

Looks really good so far. When the cycle is complete you should see those numbers, don't worry about PWCs during the cycle just do a big one after to get the nitrates down. As far as the heater either go with a 200w or 2 100w for redundancy and more even heating of the tank.

I fed the tank lol.

My lfs tests water. After a month could I take it there? Should it say
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: any ?

Should I change water while cycling?

Also, fyi, in a little I will put some food in there and wait an hour then add the seeding material so it will have food. My temp is high (I filled it with warm water) and without a heater it is 84. It will probably only go down to 78 like my other tanks. Do I really need a 200w heater? I just need to make sure it doesn't fluctuate. Thnx. :scatter:

That's fine, but it's always better to be able to test for yourself whenever you want to. Also, be sure that they are using a liquid reagent kit vs. strips or their numbers are essentially meaningless.

That's fine, but it's always better to be able to test for yourself whenever you want to. Also, be sure that they are using a liquid reagent kit vs. strips or their numbers are essentially meaningless.

Yeah LFS uses liquid. I just don't have money for it now but eventually I'll get one.

Back
Top Bottom