55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well just looking for ideas of cheaper colorful community tank. I know for sure I want 3 pictus cats any ideas of fish to stock around them?

Well Pictus are known to eat smaller fish like Neons. So maybe a few Denison Barbs?

Cool could serpae tetras work and other round shaped tetras with the pictus?

Maybe, try to stick to the bigger and faster tetras. They will be less likely to be eaten.

Lemon Tetras are surprisingly pretty and are really cheap. As well as Bloodfin Tetras. Bloodfins may not look like much initially but when they have matured they get nice red fins with white tips. They also school well and are very active.

*EDIT* I wouldn't suggest Puntius Denisonii because they are a larger Barb that also like to move around a lot. I guess if you kept only one maybe but they you lose the beauty of them schooling.

Oh okay I won't get denisons I do like the lemons though may have to get a school.

Predfan27 said:
Lemon Tetras are surprisingly pretty and are really cheap. As well as Bloodfin Tetras. Bloodfins may not look like much initially but when they have matured they get nice red fins with white tips. They also school well and are very active.

*EDIT* I wouldn't suggest Puntius Denisonii because they are a larger Barb that also like to move around a lot. I guess if you kept only one maybe but they you lose the beauty of them schooling.

You could do 3 Denison barbs in that tank.

Samzter said:
You could do 3 Denison barbs in that tank.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. They are very, very active Barbs that grow to about 5-6 inches long. They really need somewhere in the neighborhood of a 75g to have the proper room.

Lots of people say its okay to have 2-3 in a 40g in a 50g you could have 3. Just make sure that the rest of the tank is lightly stocked.

Samzter said:
Lots of people say its okay to have 2-3 in a 40g in a 50g you could have 3. Just make sure that the rest of the tank is lightly stocked.

Yes you could get them in there. I just wouldn't suggest it.

I'm just gonna pass on the barbs like the tetras more anyway any ideas for a centerpiece fish not angelfish cant stand them.

I like Pearl Gouramis as a centerpiece. Like Bloodfins, they don't look like too much originally but they grow into some really nice coloration.

Back
Top Bottom