55 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is what I have so far - Need some ideas, I went onto AqAdvisor and I am about 70% stocking with a filtration cap at 197%

Also need ideas on the order in which introduce them to the tank

5 Cherry Barbs (these have to go in first because I am transferring them from another tank that I want to shut down.
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish also going into the tank first because of the small tank I shutting down.
5 Harlequin Rasbora
5 Diamond Tetra
5 Sailfin Mollys
5 Boesemans Rainbow fish
5 Mickey Mouse Platys

Thoughts? The only thing I would love to have is one of two "showcase" fish like an Angel, but I know they can't coexist with all of these fish.

I would say 8 cory cats, and a pair of Bolivian rams.

Or

3 assorted gourami, and 6 stratia botia.

Honestly that is alot of fish for a 55g. I have two 55g tanks so I'm familar with the size/space. The biggest issue with this stocking is the Sailfin Mollies as they can get huge, 5+ inches easily, especially the males. They also are high bio-load fish. Platy's also have a high bio-load. Rapheal cats can get up to about 5" in a home aquarium so I'm not sure I'd get any other bottom dwellers such as cory's or loaches either. BUT if you removed the Mollies and the Platies, kept the rest of your stock you could indeed add 2 angelfish and your tank IMO would have a much better bio-load.

The barbs might nip your sailfins. Have you had them together?

No, I only have a small 6 gallon tank with three barbs and a Stripped Raphael

I am currently a little more than half way through my cycle on my 55 gallon and I just started my cycle on my 29 gallon.

I read that barbs like to be in schools of 5 and a 2 to 1 ratio female to male.

You could some sort of tetra. Lots of different kinds and could add some cool colors to your tank

Honestly that is alot of fish for a 55g. I have two 55g tanks so I'm familar with the size/space. The biggest issue with this stocking is the Sailfin Mollies as they can get huge, 5+ inches easily, especially the males. They also are high bio-load fish. Platy's also have a high bio-load. Rapheal cats can get up to about 5" in a home aquarium so I'm not sure I'd get any other bottom dwellers such as cory's or loaches either. BUT if you removed the Mollies and the Platies, kept the rest of your stock you could indeed add 2 angelfish and your tank IMO would have a much better bio-load.

Wow you know your stuff, when I added the information into AqAdvisor I added them at what they currently were not adult, when I changed my information to all adult and I was WAY over stocked.

I like your recommendation, with everything being adult it puts my filtration cap at 96% and stocking level at 121% with a water change of 38% That is with a Fluval 406.

I have a water changer, so I would probably two water changes a week at 20% and it would take 15 mins to do them. So no big deal but I have a while before they all become adult.

It doesn't say anything about the angelfish going after those fish. I did make one mistake I said 5 Hangel Rasbora, I should have said 5 -Harlequin Rasbora

Ya, that's why I recommended Bolivians, not angels, the barbs might do after the angels. I figured the sail fins would be safe. I didn't know sail fins grew 5"! I thought they topped out at 3". Sorry that was my fault. I think a raph cat would be fine in a 55 with other bottom dwellers. My cories and raph get along great, and they are in a 65 tall.

If you want angels, I would drop the barbs, mollies, and Platties.

2 angels
5 rasbora and 5 tetras or just 10 of one of them
5 cories
Raph cat
And 3 rainbows.

How's that?

I'm not a fan of barbs but cherry barbs are the one barbs I've found over the years that will often do well with angels if you have a large enough school of them.

I've had tanks since the 70's and pretty much made all the mistakes over the years and learned alot about different fish and adult bio-loads.. lol!

I'm not a fan of barbs but cherry barbs are the one barbs I've found over the years that will often do well with angels if you have a large enough school of them.

I've had tanks since the 70's and pretty much made all the mistakes over the years and learned alot about different fish and adult bio-loads.. lol!

Males are mean, I have one male and two females in a 6 gallon tank and the male is a bully. but they are cool. They know when the filter goes off they come to the top to feed, they are so use to it they almost would eat out of my hand. I may end up putting them in my 29 gallon tank, I would rather have a couple of Angelfish, then 5 barbs, and maybe have a few more tetras like someone else suggested.

Before I found this site, my wife bought a tank and two months after having it set up and running I went and got fish, they have been good little fish, and they are why I went and got a 55 and 29 gallon tank. I didn't know a thing about fishless cycles and water changes, I do now and I change their water twice a week like clock work.

What would be the proper way to introduce the fish to the tank? As in the order? I have the Acclimate XL to acclimate the fish.

Also crazy question but I live in South Florida, the local fish stores here are ok, but all of them are saltwater. I wasn't going to tackle a saltwater tank living on the 15th floor of a condo, No RO system and I didn't really want to lug 5 gallon jugs of saltwater up to the 15th floor, even though we live on the water and I have access to a boat 24/7. So any ideas where to buy fish? I found Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums through the Doctors Fosters and Smith site but I was looking for other suggestions. My petsmart is ok, we have 4 petco's including one about 15 miles away that is their super store that has a huge inventory of fish, and aquarium items.

I asked around and everyone seems to do saltwater....so I was thinking of buying fish online.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I buy most of my fish online for lack of any decent fish shops. I use Live Aquaria, which has a very good 14 day live guarantee which is pretty much hassle free. I also have used Oddballfish.com and AquariumFish.com

Any order but always the angelfish last so they don't get the "this tank is mine attitude".

Angels will be majestic in a tank the size you have. I like the selection you got so far. Angels with two types of schooling fish. I find that adding a zilliong different types of fishes to a tank makes it look busy and less aesthetically pleasing.

That combination will also give you a lot of animation with different speeds.

Rummy nose tetras school wonderfully, probably the best schooling fish I've kept. Cardinals would be next. And both are similar size to the cherry barbs so they will both get along.

And maybe you could get two or three small cute cory cats to scavange on the floor. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom