55 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zooking12 said:
thanks i think ill move the kribs (once ive bred them a couple times) and keep my cories and cardinals. I think i might get some zebras, cherries, black phantoms or bleeding hearts (cant decide) and some centerpeice. I'm thinking of either a gourami pair or some dwarf cichlids. Im a little wary about the cardinals but could I keep some angels in there. (And by the way, I'm going to overfilter this tank(probably my canister filter for a 100g) will this work?:thanks:

You could actually do like a biotope for south America if you took away the barbs and zebras. That way you could do both the tetra groups that you wanted. If you did angelfish if you bought young ones you may get by with the cardinals but angelfish eat cardinals in the wild. I would go with a dwarf cichlid. I'm going to get 2 Bolivian rams for my 55 gallon south American tank they're pretty neat and fairly pretty, I've heard.
Edit: oh and also German blue rams would work too, but I've heard that they're harder to keep than bolivians.

I love that idea!!! I tried to make a 10 gallon brazillian biotope but thats not really big enough to do much. Ive never really seen a bolivian ram but i hear theyre beautiful. Are they aggressive? Are they easy to breed?

zooking12 said:
I love that idea!!! I tried to make a 10 gallon brazillian biotope but thats not really big enough to do much. Ive never really seen a bolivian ram but i hear theyre beautiful. Are they aggressive? Are they easy to breed?

Here's a picture! They aren't too aggressive, as for breeding they aren't too bad as long as you get a pair. They can come aggressive when they have fry.

Attachments

• image-1190534981.jpg
    image-1190534981.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
zooking12 said:
Cool, that fish is beautiful. I think I may have my lfs order some.

I know I love this fish and cannot wait to have two! Tell me how they go in your tank and don't forget: we love pictures here!!!

My plan so far:
Plants:
Brazilian Sword
Java Moss (not SA)
Anubias (not SA)

Fish:
12 cardinal tetra
6 bronze cory cats
8 bleeding hearts
1 pair bolivian rams
6 black phantom tetras?

zooking12 said:
My plan so far:
Plants:
Brazilian Sword
Java Moss (not SA)
Anubias (not SA)

Fish:
12 cardinal tetra
6 bronze cory cats
8 bleeding hearts
1 pair bolivian rams
6 black phantom tetras?

I think that sounds great! If you find more plants later on add them, because it will look even more amazing!

Ok. Thanks for the help. And ill submit pics once i figure out how

Thanks for the help. But I think ill set this up at a later date. The only problem I have now is actually putting it in the aquarium. It never seems to look quite right... like the ones in books or on this website.

My 55g aquarium right now.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110727_084836.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110727_084836.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 94
  • ForumRunner_20110727_085032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110727_085032.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20110727_085122.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110727_085122.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:
That tank looks amazing! I'm hoping to do something like that, but for now all I have in my 7.8 gal tank is some xmas moss and some guppy grass that I'm figuring out how to plant... Also you could put guppy grass in there because it does come from South America (y)

That tank looks amazing! I'm hoping to do something like that, but for now all I have in my 7.8 gal tank is some xmas moss and some guppy grass that I'm figuring out how to plant... Also you could put guppy grass in there because it does come from South America (y)
You are??? Wow, I always thought my tanks looked sorta empty in a way. And what's guppy grass' scientific name? Ive never heard of it.

Najas guadalupensis is its scientific name. I've just read that it spreads like a weed but is good for fry cover so if you do get fry in any of your tanks it might be a good addition! I'm excited to have it even if others have bashed on it:)

Cool. I'll definetly get that because I need the most prolific plants I can find! And by the way, are there any low light plants that arent green?

Honestly I don't know, I'd wait for a person who knows their stuff or post it on your other thread:)

Well someone said red tiger lotus. Ok. So far im gonna have hornwort, anacharis, peace lily, java moss, java fern, anubias, rtl, guppy grass. Is that enough, too much, or just right?

zooking12 said:
Well someone said red tiger lotus. Ok. So far im gonna have hornwort, anacharis, peace lily, java moss, java fern, anubias, rtl, guppy grass. Is that enough, too much, or just right?

That sounds perfect! I really can't wait to see what your tank will look like!

Neither can I:)

Hey, I'm thinking about replacing the bolivian rams with something slightly smaller. Any suggestions?

My tank might look something like this...

Attachments

• 55g plan 002.jpg
    55g plan 002.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 55g plan 003.jpg
    55g plan 003.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 55g plan 004.jpg
    55g plan 004.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 55g plan 005.jpg
    55g plan 005.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I just realized something. After yet some more research I realized/ remembered that, in the wild, tetras live in humungous schools. So I thought that, maybe instead of having so many different species, I could have two or three large schools... along with the cichlids. Any thoughts? I'm trying to get this absolutely perfect before diving into this.

How big is large? If you did like neons you could have around 15-20 and another school of tetras of like 10... If they're smaller too!!

Back
Top Bottom