55 Gallon Stocking/Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I know that I've started some threads over the past 2 months on this but because I am so close to stocking I just want to get this stocking good:).
I've got a 55 gallon (South American biotope) with driftwood, rocks and sand as well! The filter I have isn't working and I don't know what to do!!! Any ideas? It sounds like it's running but it doesn't suck up any water! Also I wanted to recheck my stocking. I've added a few things to the list...
Here it is:
1 angel
8 peppered cories
(would 5-6 panda cories be okay in there as well???)
10 rummy nose tetras
10 flame or buenos aires tetras or some other tetra, ideas? Would like to stay away from blue and red and black/white colors because of the other fish having those colors.
2 GBRs
I would also like to add farlowella catfish, but I can't find much information on them... Would they be good in the tank? I have driftwood as well and am willing to get more. How many should I get? Do they need groups?
Is this now too overstocked? I'm really not that sure! Thanks for reading!

Also here's a picture of my tank so far. If you have any opinions on how to make it look good and some plants that'd be great too! I need some low light plants seeing as I don't want to put too much money on the planting!

Hey, I do not know anything about that species of catfish, but other than that I think you are fine. If I were you, I would stick with 6 peppered corys and then get 4-5 pandas. If you want both species, 8 peppered is too many (imo) because they need enough space to stay out of the gbr pair's way. The species are compatible, but everybody will be happier if the corys can avoid the ram's chosen area (in case the rams choose to pair up).
Personally, I try to put my plants in bunches so there are areas of heavy cover and areas for free swimming and the fish can choose what makes them more comfortable.

absolutangel04 said:
Hey, I do not know anything about that species of catfish, but other than that I think you are fine. If I were you, I would stick with 6 peppered corys and then get 4-5 pandas. If you want both species, 8 peppered is too many (imo) because they need enough space to stay out of the gbr pair's way. The species are compatible, but everybody will be happier if the corys can avoid the ram's chosen area (in case the rams choose to pair up).
Personally, I try to put my plants in bunches so there are areas of heavy cover and areas for free swimming and the fish can choose what makes them more comfortable.

Thanks! I'll only get 2 more peppered then! (I already have 4). I really want to add some pandas because I saw some at my lfs and fell in love, pandas were my favorite animal growing up;). I'll plant sort of like that to give them some room to swim! Thanks again!

Thanks! I'll only get 2 more peppered then! (I already have 4). I really want to add some pandas because I saw some at my lfs and fell in love, pandas were my favorite animal growing up;). I'll plant sort of like that to give them some room to swim! Thanks again!
No problem. Also, you can always add more corys later if you think it would be ok, but I have found I need to set a limit for myself on the low side first, and then re-evaluate the number because it is easier to buy more fish than find a home for the ones you already have. :) I agree that pandas are awesome. The 2 species should give a nice variety.(y)

Yeah I have a feeling that later on I'll cave and get like 2-3 more on one of the species! Cannot wait until the filter starts to work again/I get a new filter!

M_DonFran said:
Have you tried pouring water in you filter while it's on?

Yes I have, I've put water in it before running it and during running it. Yet there's still no prevail!

Does any one have any info on the farlowella catfish? Do they need groups? (look at first post for more questions). Also what are some fish the school that would be good with the stocking? I want to put another school maybe two if there is room because I know that there's currently nothing that would be in the mid to top levels besides an angelfish.

hmmm not to sure what to do about your filter then, but for fish you could do a school of celebes rainbows.

M_DonFran said:
hmmm not to sure what to do about your filter then, but for fish you could do a school of celebes rainbows.

I'd actually like to stick with south american fish... But I like the look of those! Would flame tetras be good??? Or maybe blue kerries? Or any other opinions on fish? Or plants? I don't know which types to get!

Also I'll be getting the filter within a week or two:). So how should I put them in? By that I mean the order... I'm thinking the cories I have first, then the else idk... And for plants I've been thinking java moss, java fern, guppy grass, amazon sword, dwarf sword, and ... What else? Oh and don't forget some tetra or schooling fish ideas;)

I'd actually like to stick with south american fish... But I like the look of those! Would flame tetras be good??? Or maybe blue kerries? Or any other opinions on fish? Or plants? I don't know which types to get!

Hey there, I recently accquired some flame von rios and i really like them. I bought the only 4 at my LFS but want to increase to an actual school. I also have a school of black neons, but I know you don't want those colors. They live w/my 2 GBR, featherfin and albino rubberlip in my 55 and look great. Good luck!

Also I'll be getting the filter within a week or two:). So how should I put them in? By that I mean the order... I'm thinking the cories I have first, then the else idk... And for plants I've been thinking java moss, java fern, guppy grass, amazon sword, dwarf sword, and ... What else? Oh and don't forget some tetra or schooling fish ideas;)

Should of read both posts first! :lol: When I was getting my rams, I read that adding the tetras first as "dither fish" made it easier on the more "delicate fish" rams, angels, etc. And IMO its better to add the plants etc first. I have java fern, amazon sword, jungle veil, cabamba n java moss.

JoeBob said:
Hey there, I recently accquired some flame von rios and i really like them. I bought the only 4 at my LFS but want to increase to an actual school. I also have a school of black neons, but I know you don't want those colors. They live w/my 2 GBR, featherfin and albino rubberlip in my 55 and look great. Good luck!

Yeah I like the black neons but I'm not sure about the angel... But now I'm a bit less bias on colors and am open to everything:D. Thanks though! I think that the Von rios may be my fish choice!

JoeBob said:
Should of read both posts first! :lol: When I was getting my rams, I read that adding the tetras first as "dither fish" made it easier on the more "delicate fish" rams, angels, etc. And IMO its better to add the plants etc first. I have java fern, amazon sword, jungle veil, cabamba n java moss.

That's fine!! But thanks for some ideas and your opinions! It's greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom