55 Gallon Stocking: Sound OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
aH, didn't notice you were in Toronto, if you get a chance, stop by the BigAls in Oakville (on Kerr, just past trafalger coming from T.O.), I've checked out the one in Scarb, and Mississauga and they seem to pale in comparison. Also the staff there are quite compitent, albeit opinionated, but we all are in our own respect.
Alright, I'll go there if I ever go to that area. I go to the one at Scarborough. Its like 5 minutes from my apt. On a side note: I was in Oakville a couple months ago picking up a 25 Gallon tank I won on ebay.
LOL on the platies multiplying like rabbits! I might get guppies instead. I know that they multiply as well, but they are hardier, produce less waste (my experience) and I like to have a livebearer in my tank for selling purposes.

Also, could I be able to add a Blue Crayfish to my tank later on, or will my Clown Loaches or any other fish bother it. Would a Blue Crayfish bother my other fish?

My clowns leave mine alone, they also leave the banana shrimp alone (wood shrimp) which are smaller, tho I did have 1 vampire shrimp die, I think he bolted backwards right after molting hitting simething, tho I can't say for sure...

Wood shrimp would be something interesting to watch, just make sure they have some wood to hide under.

Keep lots of ghost shrimp in the tank, if they want one, they know which ones to eat.

Thanks for the help. I like the shrimps but they're too expensive (other than ghost shrimp) for my liking. i dont think its worth the risk of having something worth $20 get eatin by my $8 clown loaches :lol: :lol: but I'll consider it if I have the money. As for my list, I am bailing on the Angels unless I buy them in like a year when I have all under control. I have a filter that can handle 60 gallons, plus a bio wheel 30 gallon filter, and I do 25% water changes weekly, so my tank should be fairly clean. I have a very good feeling about this, and I'd like to thank every1 for their help :D

Is the tank cycled yet? consider adding them slowly if you don't want any losses (ammonia spikes).

I think not getting the angels might be a good idea, may make the rosy's tend to nip fins.. (if they behave like serpae's)

Primetime said:
Thanks for the help. I like the shrimps but they're too expensive (other than ghost shrimp) for my liking. i dont think its worth the risk of having something worth $20 get eatin by my $8 clown loaches :lol: :lol: but I'll consider it if I have the money.

I would....a large vampire shrimp is not only impressive, but colourful.

The tank is empty and in the store right now (as well as the filter, heater, canopy, lighting, water conditioner, net, etc.

When I bought it, the employee realized that it was out of stock, and since I paid, he said pick it up whenever you want. Tomorrow Big Al's closed, so Im gonna pick it up on Monday, because theres a lot of snow on the streets today.

As for cycling; I have a 30 gallon biowheel, a 15 gallon submersable and a 15 gallon power filter running inside my 25 gallon and 16 gallon tanks.

I am gonna sell my other tanks (because I live in an apt. and I dont have space), but I'm gonna keep my 30 gallon biowheel filter. Also, im gonna sell my filters (and setups) after I keep them inside my 55 Gallon for atleast a week. I'm also gonna use some gravel from my 25 gallon tank.

Cycling shouldnt be a problem.

This is my final list:

2 Clown Loaches- Indonesia (might get a 3rd if everything goes well, in terms of waste and space)
5 Congo Tetras- Zaire
1 Rubbernose Pleco- South America
3 Otos- Brazil
3 Diamond Tetras- Venezuela
1 Redtail Shark- Thailand
4-6 Cherry Barbs- (1-2 Male, 3-4 Female)

Would a redtail shark cause any problems? (doesn't look like it with that combination).

Introduce them 2 species first, then 1 species when the tanks paramaters return to normal (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite).

not sure on the redtail shark, they can be territorial, if it makes the center of the tank it's territory you may have problems. be sure to read all the profiles you can about them.

You should be good with that setup. You could add a few more fish as well. I'd probably go with 6 congo tetras and 6 diamond tetras and 6 cherry barbs. The tetras do better in larger groups. I'd keep them in atleast groups of 6 or more. And the red tail should be no problem at all.

Remember, clown loaches get big. So if you don't have plans for a bigger tank later, might rethink on the clowns.

Also, you could do a rainbow shark instead of the red tail as well. Both look similar, and either would do good in that tank.

if u really dont want a pleco you probly could do fine with 3 algae eating otos. And you really should get 3 clown loaches and at least 5 of each tetra. They are schooling fish and that means the need to be in groups

As others stated... More clowns... I'd personally agree to avoid the dwarf gouramis as they are really fragile fish, and don't like each other's company too well. As far as Angels and cherry barbs... Depends on the size of the barbs vs angels... If they are big enough the angels usually won't eat them (might chase them occasionally), but if you put anything small in with angels it will be consumed faster than a wedding buffet. When I got my first aquarium (17 years ago... Sheesh that's long) I put a school of neons in with a silver angel, and the neons were gone within 5 minutes. I have housed harleqiun rasboras with angels without them ever being touched (plus they look reall cool).

BTW... 3 Clowns should be okay in a 55 gallon... They probably won't grow to full size, but should be fine... I have one in my 40 gallon now that's been alive for 10 years and is about 7" long... He used to have a brother that lived for 5 years.

I think it depends on the redtail ... mine is nearly 5 inches and only ever bothers my yo-yos ... but he doesn't do anything to hurt them ... only chases when the mood strikes him. I've heard of other ppl's redtails being territorial, but really haven't seen much aggression out of mine in its 5+ years.

I have a redtail now, and he chases new fish around for a week or two, but then seems to get bored with it. When I moved my silver dollar into that tank he gave him a run, but now if he looks like going to chase the SD lunges at him, and the redtail rethinks his position. LOL

Back
Top Bottom