55 gallon Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thehoodguy8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, just set up a 55 gallon aquarium and I'm not sure what I should stock it with. (I will do more research on your suggestions to see if compatible with my pH and gh but I haven't tested yet)

Some Tank Ideas I've had were:
- Tetra Tank with 5 or six large schools of tetra
- Angel Fish Tank with 5 or 6 Angelfish and a school of tetra
- Some type of larger cichlid as a centerpiece and building around that

I could use some suggestions or tank ideas yall think would be weird, interesting, or cool! (Doesnt have to be on the list) I'd like to hear some opinions on the ideas I've listed too. Ive attached an image of aquarium.

Attachments

• 20210210_212316.jpg
    20210210_212316.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 115
A couple of suggestions. Do plenty of research on anything you like or that's suggested before you buy. Read it's behaviors, aggressiveness, eating habits, compatible tank mates, etc. Make sure when grown it'll fit in your tank unless your planning to spend several hundred more and upsize within a couple of years. Start out with just a few cheap fish if your going to do a fish-in cycle. Have a method/ way to quarantine new purchases before they go in the 55g. Oh, and do plenty of research before you buy.... did I already say that? Lol

I like the idea of an all tetra tank. Or Rasboras. I have a couple of tanks like that. Angels would work too. I'm not fond of the idea of a "centerpiece fish." I believe fish are happier and less aggressive if kept in groups.

I like the idea of an all tetra tank. Or Rasboras. I have a couple of tanks like that. Angels would work too. I'm not fond of the idea of a "centerpiece fish." I believe fish are happier and less aggressive if kept in groups.
Your right about groups. And any cichlid op wanted as a center piece either gets to big for a 55 or just flat out to aggressive for tank mates. The more moderate sized and tempered cichlids like angels and acaras would work like you said, and are small enough you could have a group. I like tetras too personally, much more than live bearers

I'd build a tropical tank by levels. Get a school of bottom feeders like corys, mid level swimmers like lamp eye, rummy nose, bleeding heart, then some top water guys like hatchet fish, etc

Personally I would do a betta sorority tank, or a livebarer tank, and add some shrimp, and African dwarf frogs. My personal fav shrimp are ghost shrimp. Angelfish would also be a good idea, and guarmies are cool aswell.

Back
Top Bottom