55 gallon tank idea, I need some approval frm you guys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank with a senegal birchir, and 4 juvenile female convict cichlids. I want to make my tank look brighter cause with black convicts and a gray bichir it looks very dull. Anyways I was thinking of adding some electric yellow labs, so what do you guys think?

I wouldn't suggest it mainly due to the fact that the Yellow Labs is one of the more peaceful Africans. I've seen Convicts do some major damage.

bussardnr said:
i've heard not to mix afrix=cans and new world ciclids
Also, I am not sure but I think they are both Africans.

I put a giant danio in there and females did nothing to it, nor did they do anything to the feeder goldfish I put in there and I have a senegal bichir in there that they do not bother. So I don't know.

Convicts are New World/American Cichlids and Labs are African cichlids. It's not a good idea at all to mix them. While there's a chance of survival it's just not good for the fish. they need different water conditions, have different pecking orders, different forms of aggression. In short, this is just not a great idea. You might try some Salvinis cichlids. Colorful and much more compatible, IME.
I also think you've been lucky mixing the bichir and the convicts thus far.

I have never seen a Salvinis cichlid at any of my lfs, so I can not put that in there. How about a firemouth or a Jack Dempsey?

Jack Dempsey's get too big to be permanently housed in a 55 gallon tank, IMO. So I would say negative on buying one of them. You could probably buy a firemouth or maybe 2 and house them in your tank, without much of a problem. I would just say that they aren't going to add the type of eye popping color to your tank that a Salvini will. Firemouth's can sometimes be a shy fish if not housed in groups of the same species as well. Just a heads up.
Personally, if it were me, I would save up to get a couple Salvini from a reputable online store to really add some flair and color to the tank. But thats just my opinion.
Here's a picture in case you've never seen a Salvini
http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=26

Back
Top Bottom