55 Gallon Weird Corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarnp49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just inheritaded a 55 gallon tank, which I have wanted for years and it seems this one is custom built in everyway possible. It holds water and needed some cleaning but from the pictures you'll notice I do I good job cleaning the tank.

I was wondering what the corner item was that is all glass and 6" square.
The tank measures 40"Wx18"Dx20"H.

I also was wondering if someone could help me with the lightning issue I will soon have, the fact there is no lighting setup in the tank. It was wired for 2 florescence bulbs with ballasts in the little glass section in the middle of the labled picture.

Any ideas of what kind of light I will need and what bulb size so I can match the ballast to it.

I am looking at a FW tank with some tetras, angelfish, suckers and whatever else suits my fancy now I have a tank big enough to do just about anything. Was also thinking of the terracotta pot and "driftwood".

I also am planning on using a canister filter, I don't like the noises of the HOB filter. Can somone recommend a good budget oriented filter?

Attachments

• fish_tank_quesion_132.jpg
    fish_tank_quesion_132.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 90
  • dscn0601_887.jpg
    dscn0601_887.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 460
i agree, it looks like a built in trickle filter, got any closer picks?
very good filter provided it has a good pump.
only downfall is that it doesn't suck from the bottom.

It's funny you should ask that question. No I don't but I will tell you that the water once it gets above 3 inches in the tank will fill that section and stay the same height all the way up. It has a small slit where the glass doesn't touch completly for about 6-8 inches up on 2 sides, the side you are looking at, and the far left side to the outside wall of the tank.

When I got the tank it had a sponge filter in it. Can someone explain what this would do for me? I don't really want a SW tank due to the expense of the fish and material to get it setup.

Can you tell me how I can utilize it for a FW tank? possible breeding area? filter area? anthing?

Also still need ideas on the amount and type of light for the ballasts so I can get working on that and start the cycle in the tank.

hmmm do the plates overlap at all?
kind of like this...
img_672543_0_f39ec4c7e29fbee089800d99379c03f1.jpg

sounds like it might be a similar theory to what i have, in which case it is the best filter I have ever encountered.
Or perhaps it has been designed to draw in from the bottom and push it out over the top. kind of like an upside down trickle...
where did the sponge sit?

The sponge was really gross in the bottom. It doesn't move at all.

From the looks of yours the water goes in a slot in the bottom and out the top at the holes.

I will have to get better pictures tomorrow but the one I have is solid glass on 2 sides and there is slits on the 2 sides for water to get in. When you are filling the tank it's like the area stays dry until 3 inches of water and then it starts to flow into the corner and fills up with the rest of the tank. The sides are to high for the water to flow out over the top without filling the lighting box and flowing out the back of the tank in the holes.

I will try and get better pictures tomorrow when I am home from work and hope it helps decide what this is.

hmmm now im lost....I can only think of some sort of refuge or equipment storage.
oh well...When in doubt, Cut it out :D

After reading alot in the last couple of hours I have come to the conclusion that this tank I have been given is a salt water tank all the way. I am converting it to a fresh water tank and will use the "sump" or "trickle-filter" for an extra area in the tank to add water to the tank so I don't disturb the decorations and possibly a way of getting water out of the tank for filtering.

With that being said what kinds of background do you guys suggest for inside the tank to hide this area that will not have any gravel in it? Or just use some tall plants? It had a styrofoam backing on it that was glued on with round silicon pads and I pulled that off because the paint was peeling off the styrofoam, which probably why all his fish died and the water turned really green from algea. Also why I have the tank now.

Back
Top Bottom