55g Himalayan Biotope Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
New member, so please excuse the long post. Bought cheap 55 gallon with stand and hood recently (all for $75!) and my plan is for a Himalayan biotope aquarium, because this region interest me and it not something that one sees often. There are several rivers that come in question, but I think to focus on foothill area of the Tista (or Teesta) River in Assam region south of Kalimpong would be easiest. This is rocky river with good water flow. So I plan lots of rocks with substrate as mixture of different coarse sand/gravel and maybe couple pieces of driftwood, that “snagged” on stones in river. Heater would not be necessary most of year – maybe only in middle of winter.

So I have 2 questions. It appears that the river manifold design with 2 powerheads would be best setup to recreate unidirectional river flow? I think to also use for filtration a canister filter, but not sure to go with a 264 or 525 gph model or if I need 2 filters (the 264gph canister and some other type – power filter would disrupt unidirectional flow though?).

Other question was about stocking. I have thought to have a school of Rosy Barbs as focus of aquarium. Like the idea of mixed school of barbs like Chola or Ticto Barb with rosy barbs like in wild, but not sure if this good idea or not. Some other possibilities, for advice, as I am not sure how many species and individuals to select for each level. Below some possible species for Himalayan biotope (obviously, I will not stock all of these in 55 gallons!).

Schooling surface fish:
- Zebra Danio (not sure how common they are foothills – more lowland fish I think)
- Bengal Danio or Giant Danio
- Flying Barb (but a little sensitive to water quality, so not sure about this)
Midlevel schooling fish:
- Rosy Barb
- Chola Barb
- Ticto Barb
Bottom Dwelling Fish:
- Yoyo Loach or Bengal Loach
- Zipper Loach (Acanthocobitis botia) – not seen locally but very common in region, kind of like this species
- Schistura loaches – none locally
- Mystus tengara catfish – not sure how common in foothills. Would like a catfish species, but can schooling catfish and loach be mixed or only loach or catfish not the other?
- Hara hara (hard to find, probably not good idea with barbs or other more aggressive fish)

Invertebrates:
would like to keep shrimp if possible, but admit that barbs and catfish/loach make this hard. Indian Zebra Shrimp is probably out of question as too small, but what about redclaw Macrobrachium shrimp? Problem is aggression and what fish it might eat.

Plants:
Not sure, that much plant life in this biotope. Valisneria, Limnophila and Myriphyllum occur in slower lowland areas, but not sure about in the foothills.
- Java Fern?
- Java Moss
I know, that is a lot, but I have done my research before I ask question and would appreciate others advice. Thanks!

Valisneria is south american I believe. I would get the zipper loach because they are really neat looking and I have never had any problems keeping them.

I think to add zipper loach if I can find any. Any other recommendations?

Vallisneria is found worldwide. 2 of most common species occur in India (V. spiralis and V. gigantea/americana) and were mentioned in article about wild collection in India for lower elevations, but not sure would they occur in higher ones or flowing water?

Update:
have found a couple other suitable species. Franks Aquarium sell Amblyceps mangois, so another catfish possibility - they reach about 9cm length. Crossocheilus latius as algae eater, but seem to be almost unavailable outside Europe?

Surprised that this thread has not attracted much interest.:(

I thought some more about stocking and I have following possibilities, so maybe it is easier to give advice, now that I have more of an idea.

For bottom: school of 3 yoyo loaches and 1 Amblyceps catfish (they are solitary)
For mid and upper levels I am still undecided:
- school of 5-7 rosy barbs (or 4 rosy and 3 ticto barbs?) + school of 6-7 zebra danios OR 4-5 giant danios (the Devario danios seem to be more common in faster waters, so I favour them over the zebras, although they larger)
- school of of all 3 (with fewer zebra danios and only 4-5 rosy barbs and 4-5 giant danios), but these is probably too large of bioload for 55 gallons, right?

Numbers are very poor estimates, so feel free to correct them.

For plants, seem dwarf ambulia, java moss and java fern are my options. I will go with 525 gph filter and 2 powerhead river manifold, so this should provide enough flow.​

Your stocking looks good but may I suggest some hillstream loaches? They originate from the Far East and love fast flowing waters. As for plants I think it woul look the best if you went very lightly planted with the rocky riverbed look. Sounds really cool and will be following!

It is hard to find Indian hillstream loaches (most species available come from China/SE Asia). Franks Aquarium has the brookstream loach Schistura devdevi, but they are small and not sure that good with active fish like rosy barbs.

I have decided for 5 rosy barbs. Still undecided about which danio or how many. Maybe 6-7 giant danios for nice school. With this many giant danios, it would probably be too large bioload to add zebra danios (remember also 3 yoyo loaches and 1 torrent catfish)? Probably add several red claw macro shrimp as well.

Back
Top Bottom