55g planted stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carriwin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here's an interesting question... to which I think I know the answer, but i'm going to ask anyway:

For my planted 55g that I'm kicking up, this is the stocking list:
-8 neons
-2 skirt tetras
-2 apistos
-1 female gbr
-1 male betta
-2 otos
-5 albino cories
-2 green cories

And I think that's it... so here's my thought... I've been staring at an electric blue acara that they keep stocking in petsmart... I'm really wanting to get one to add as my "centerpiece" fish for this 55g. I love the apistos, but they're not... flashy enough due to their somewhat sedate coloring (except for the stripe of fiery red which is awesome). Do you guys think this will be a problem, or will everyone mind their p's and q's?

The blue acara will probably eat most of your tank inhabitants as it grows yo 8 inches.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Perhaps Thorichthys ellioti? But I have no idea where to acquire such specimens...

So, I'm thinking of getting one assassin snail to keep the population down... that way the snail population is cut down slowly... hopefully slow enough that they don't outbreed the poor little guy's capabilities. LOL

Still scrounging for center fish ideas... google isn't helping very much.

Otos like to be kept in groups, so you should go with a school of 6.

The appeal of blackskirt tetras eludes me. I'm a big fan of rummynose tetras as they are active and pretty.

Why only a single female GBR? You can fit as many as 5 in your tank if you break up lines of sight with driftwood and plants.

I would skip the apistos if you are going with GBRs.

Cories do best in single species schools.

Otos like to be kept in groups, so you should go with a school of 6.

The appeal of blackskirt tetras eludes me. I'm a big fan of rummynose tetras as they are active and pretty.

Why only a single female GBR? You can fit as many as 5 in your tank if you break up lines of sight with driftwood and plants.

I would skip the apistos if you are going with GBRs.

Cories do best in single species schools.

The otos, 2 green cories, apistos and GBR were an addition from someone else. The two white skirt tetras have been around for probably close to 7 years and are what was left out of the full group I had (along with my 2 gourami that are with my angels.) The 8 neons, 5 albino cories, betta, and tetras were the original finhabitants of my 29g, they're all moving with everyone else to the 55g as well.

I might add another GBR and some otos, just to make the numbers better... everyone seems to be happier with at least one other of their kind. :)

I'll check out the rummynose tetras and see what they look like.

Back
Top Bottom