Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Try to get angels with dime size bodies or nickel sized. Any angel with a larger body size would be a risk with neons. Plus be sure to have a lot of plant cover so the neons can retreat to a safe place if they feel threatened. Also try to find the largest neons you can.
__________________

__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Try to get angels with dime size bodies or nickel sized. Any angel with a larger body size would be a risk with neons. Plus be sure to have a lot of plant cover so the neons can retreat to a safe place if they feel threatened. Also try to find the largest neons you can.
Okay. I was planning on trying to make it heavily planted anyway. Never done it, but there's a first for everything. (:
Basically what I need for that would be the two fertilizers, and root tabs, right?
__________________

__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
The ferts you used other than root tabs will depend on the lighting and bulbs you use and they type of plants. Dry ferts are much cheaper to use in the long run in larger tanks but if you run a low light tank with low light tolerant plants you may only need to use a combination of Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone weekly.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
The ferts you used other than root tabs will depend on the lighting and bulbs you use and they type of plants. Dry ferts are much cheaper to use in the long run in larger tanks but if you run a low light tank with low light tolerant plants you may only need to use a combination of Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone weekly.
What are dry ferts? Is it just dirt-like that you put in the water, or do you have to bury it like the root tabs, or..? How fast do the Flourish and Leaf Zone run out when used weekly? Do you have a recommendation on which I should use? I think I'm just going to go with low light plants and normal florescent bulbs.
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
Dry ferts are basically the ferts in a powdered state. You mix with water to create a solution to add to your tank. Best used with higher lighting set ups. Seachem Comp are basically ferts "pre-mixed" and bottled. The comp are basically the micros and Leaf Zone will give you some macros to put it simply.

I have a planted 55 and in my experience the Comp will last for quite a while. 1 bottle has lasted me for quite a few months using a capful bi weekly. IME the leaf zone goes pretty quick if you follow bottle instructions. You can also use Excel( Seachems liquid CO2 ) but this will also go pretty quickly( capful daily ). In a low light set up its not a requirement but plants will still appreciate it lol
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
I am going to chime in and disagree on a couple of points. For one, I honestly do not suggest getting dime or nickel sized angels. Baby angels are notoriously finicky, and the larger ones are generally hardier. So, I personally suggest getting nothing smaller than quarter sized. Obviously, you experience may be different, and I don't mean to be too contradictory to the advice you have been given, just offering my own experience. With my angel purchases, I have absolutely never had an issue with a quarter or even silver dollar sized angel being a threat a small fish like a neon. I raise up my babies with tetras much smaller than neons, and have never had an issue. IME, a silver dollar sized angel will be hardier, but has nowhere near a big enough mouth to be a threat to a neon. I agree with what has been said, keep in mind that even this way, you angel may eat neons when it grows up despite what you do. I know people who have had this combo go both ways. If you are ever able to find a sale a cardinals, I agree that they are a safer choice. Though, I do indeed understand the budget constraints.
It sounds like you have decided on 1 set of rams. That is totally fine. Fwiw, I have kept handfuls of Bolivians before and never had an issue with space. If you set up caves for them on opposite sides of the tank, they will tend to stay over in their own areas anyways. In my opinion, a 55g tank is certainly enough space for 4 Bolivians to get along peacefully, especially if you scape it right. It sounds like you wnat to stick with just 2 though, and that is fine too. Keep in mind that sexing Bolivian rams is not easy for many people, so picking out a pair is easier said than done. IME, female Bolivians are feistier. I have kept multiple males and never had an issue, it has always been the girls of this particular species which packed more of a punch. But, even if you did get 2 females, they should be fine in a 55g tank, especially without a male to bicker over.
IMO, your stock sounds good. You could add a BNP (or similar small pleco) if you would like. They are fun, and stay small so they will not affect the bioload in that size tank too much.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid76 View Post
Dry ferts are basically the ferts in a powdered state. You mix with water to create a solution to add to your tank. Best used with higher lighting set ups. Seachem Comp are basically ferts "pre-mixed" and bottled. The comp are basically the micros and Leaf Zone will give you some macros to put it simply.

I have a planted 55 and in my experience the Comp will last for quite a while. 1 bottle has lasted me for quite a few months using a capful bi weekly. IME the leaf zone goes pretty quick if you follow bottle instructions. You can also use Excel( Seachems liquid CO2 ) but this will also go pretty quickly( capful daily ). In a low light set up its not a requirement but plants will still appreciate it lol
Thanks, that's a lot of good information. (: I'm a complete newbie to all this plant stuff. I'll have to see what they're all priced at in my lfs, and try them out. I'll most likely get the Comp for sure. If I get the Leaf Zone, is it a replacement for Excel, or are they two different things, that will help in different ways?
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
I get better deals online. Excel and Leaf Zone are 2 different items.

Try PetMountain.com if you're planning on making a bulk purchase its far cheaper than at an lfs.
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
I am going to chime in and disagree on a couple of points. For one, I honestly do not suggest getting dime or nickel sized angels. Baby angels are notoriously finicky, and the larger ones are generally hardier. So, I personally suggest getting nothing smaller than quarter sized. Obviously, you experience may be different, and I don't mean to be too contradictory to the advice you have been given, just offering my own experience. With my angel purchases, I have absolutely never had an issue with a quarter or even silver dollar sized angel being a threat a small fish like a neon. I raise up my babies with tetras much smaller than neons, and have never had an issue. IME, a silver dollar sized angel will be hardier, but has nowhere near a big enough mouth to be a threat to a neon. I agree with what has been said, keep in mind that even this way, you angel may eat neons when it grows up despite what you do. I know people who have had this combo go both ways. If you are ever able to find a sale a cardinals, I agree that they are a safer choice. Though, I do indeed understand the budget constraints.
It sounds like you have decided on 1 set of rams. That is totally fine. Fwiw, I have kept handfuls of Bolivians before and never had an issue with space. If you set up caves for them on opposite sides of the tank, they will tend to stay over in their own areas anyways. In my opinion, a 55g tank is certainly enough space for 4 Bolivians to get along peacefully, especially if you scape it right. It sounds like you wnat to stick with just 2 though, and that is fine too. Keep in mind that sexing Bolivian rams is not easy for many people, so picking out a pair is easier said than done. IME, female Bolivians are feistier. I have kept multiple males and never had an issue, it has always been the girls of this particular species which packed more of a punch. But, even if you did get 2 females, they should be fine in a 55g tank, especially without a male to bicker over.
IMO, your stock sounds good. You could add a BNP (or similar small pleco) if you would like. They are fun, and stay small so they will not affect the bioload in that size tank too much.
I'll see what my lfs has with angels and go from there. (: Thanks for the advice though, it's good to have all of the opinions.
I've heard of people just getting 6 rams and letting them pair off then taking the rest back to the fish store. Would that be a viable option here?
I actually very much want a Rubberlip Pleco, but with all of the loaches and the Rams being on the bottom of the tank, I thought it would be too much. Would adding one of those be okay? I absolutely love plecos, and have wanted one for a while, so that'd be great. (: This tank just keeps getting better, haha.
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid76 View Post
I get better deals online. Excel and Leaf Zone are 2 different items.

Try PetMountain.com if you're planning on making a bulk purchase its far cheaper than at an lfs.
Alright, I'll check them out, thanks! (: If I like how it makes my tank, I'll probably want to do that instead of having to restock on fertilizer all the time.
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,980
Sounds like you've got a good plan! Keep us updated on your progress with the tank!
__________________
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Alright! (: I'll just post a few pictures of the tank so far then. It's pretty empty, and I might completely change it before I'm done, but this is when I first got it on Thursday to now. I'm planning on going to the store for more decorations and plants tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3311079628.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	190230   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3448265745.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	190231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-128332340.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	190232  
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverrz View Post
I'll see what my lfs has with angels and go from there. (: Thanks for the advice though, it's good to have all of the opinions.
I've heard of people just getting 6 rams and letting them pair off then taking the rest back to the fish store. Would that be a viable option here?
I actually very much want a Rubberlip Pleco, but with all of the loaches and the Rams being on the bottom of the tank, I thought it would be too much. Would adding one of those be okay? I absolutely love plecos, and have wanted one for a while, so that'd be great. (: This tank just keeps getting better, haha.
Yes, A rubblerlip would be fine in there. You have enough space. I have kept all of those species together in the past as a matter of fact. Kuhlis will get along with anybody. They are not territorial, and don't fight. A rubberlip will just want to spend its days sucking on stuff in the tank and won't care that the kuhlis exist. They are great fun to keep!
Yes, getting like 6 rams (or so) and waiting for a pair and returning the rest is indeed a perfectly good option.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Yes, A rubblerlip would be fine in there. You have enough space. I have kept all of those species together in the past as a matter of fact. Kuhlis will get along with anybody. They are not territorial, and don't fight. A rubberlip will just want to spend its days sucking on stuff in the tank and won't care that the kuhlis exist. They are great fun to keep!
Yes, getting like 6 rams (or so) and waiting for a pair and returning the rest is indeed a perfectly good option.
Thank you so much! (: That's such a great thing to know. I'm soo excited to get this cycled and start putting fish in it. I took the pleco and angelfish off of my original stock because I thought it'd be too much, and now I get to add them back. This is seriously a dream tank for me. (: Thank you for suggesting the pleco!
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
This is the fishtank as of tonight. (: I haven't added any live plants yet, because only one of the hoods that hold the lights work. I also couldn't find any fertilizer at any of my LFS. So I'll have to order it online or check the next city. I did find a piece of driftwood, though, so that's in there. I'm really excited with how it looks. (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2998191698.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	190391  
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bambinojake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
Beautiful tank!!! My tanks never looked that good when i was starting out!!!
__________________
Bambinojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambinojake View Post
Beautiful tank!!! My tanks never looked that good when i was starting out!!!
Thank you so much! (: I really love how it turned out. I wasn't expecting it to turn out so nice, to be honest, but I'm very proud. (:
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,980
Did your tank come with a second light because the places that the one isn't getting will have a tough time supporting anything but maybe java fern. The tank looks good so far!
__________________
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Did your tank come with a second light because the places that the one isn't getting will have a tough time supporting anything but maybe java fern. The tank looks good so far!
Yes, it did, I just can't get it to work. The starter needs replaced, but when I put the good starter on it it still wouldn't work, so I'll have to get it replaced. Right now, the one hood I have is sitting in the middle instead of on the side where it should be.
__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
I also have a question on what I should feed all of these fish? Will the kuhlis eat sinking pellets? The mollies and neons I believe eat flakes. And the angel too? I'll feed algae pellets to the pleco. And what should I feed the ram?
__________________

__________________
QueenKiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
55 gallon, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.