55g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desirousphere

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Many months ago I posted a thread asking a similar question, however, my interesting in fish-keeping had come at a poor time (I could do little more than a betta in a 10 gallon) due to financial issues (I am a student) and a lack of space.

Both of those problems are not as major as they used to be now.

I have done my research on all the fish that I wish to add and cannot see any issues with my stocking ideas. I have ran my stocking idea through AqAdvisor which tells me that the following can be stocked in a 55 gallon, I am, however, a bit skeptical...

There fish are as follows:

1x Festivum cichlid (I originally wanted a larger tank with a Severum, but decided against it as these are beautiful fish and are a bit smaller)

1x Angel fish (Just the common ones sold in the pet store)

6x Emerald Green Cories

1x German Blue Ram (Electric)

1x Bolivian Ram (Butterfly)

6x Diamond Tetras

So, in a planted, sand substrate tank, how will I be going for space?
It is not an impossibility to get a 75 gallon, but it will make things harder on me space wise.

Should I switch the Angel for a second Festivum? I hear they like a little of their own company.

The fishes needs come before my wants, so please, let me know of any flaws in my plan. :angel:

As far as the number of fish goes you're pretty much set.

But you should really research the individual species requirements.

Such as compatability, water parameters, aggression towards other species or own species, and potential size of the species.

Many months ago I posted a thread asking a similar question, however, my interesting in fish-keeping had come at a poor time (I could do little more than a betta in a 10 gallon) due to financial issues (I am a student) and a lack of space.

Both of those problems are not as major as they used to be now.

I have done my research on all the fish that I wish to add and cannot see any issues with my stocking ideas. I have ran my stocking idea through AqAdvisor which tells me that the following can be stocked in a 55 gallon, I am, however, a bit skeptical...

There fish are as follows:

1x Festivum cichlid (I originally wanted a larger tank with a Severum, but decided against it as these are beautiful fish and are a bit smaller)

1x Angel fish (Just the common ones sold in the pet store)

6x Emerald Green Cories

1x German Blue Ram (Electric)

1x Bolivian Ram (Butterfly)

6x Diamond Tetras

So, in a planted, sand substrate tank, how will I be going for space?
It is not an impossibility to get a 75 gallon, but it will make things harder on me space wise.

Should I switch the Angel for a second Festivum? I hear they like a little of their own company.

The fishes needs come before my wants, so please, let me know of any flaws in my plan. :angel:

I depends on how aggressive festivums are.

What do you mean by Bolivian ram (butterfly)???

Space wise, you have plenty. I'd up your school of tetras. Add another school. Bump the Cory school up. Add another festivum or another angel depending on the aggression of festivums.

As far as the number of fish goes you're pretty much set.

But you should really research the individual species requirements.

Such as compatability, water parameters, aggression towards other species or own species, and potential size of the species.

Set as in fully stocked/pushing it? Or a little room left?

I don't plan to add anymore, as I hate a fish tank that looks crowded, it's just nice to know I'm a little under stocked.

I've briefly checked up on all the fish and it seems that my rams + Festivum are relatively shy, so I'll have to cater to that.

I'll continue reading and learning all the way through the tank set-up, as well as leading up to that. :)

I depends on how aggressive festivums are.

What do you mean by Bolivian ram (butterfly)???

Space wise, you have plenty. I'd up your school of tetras. Add another school. Bump the Cory school up. Add another festivum or another angel depending on the aggression of festivums.

Some info on Festivums:
Flag Cichlid, Mesonauta festivus, Festivum Cichlid Fish Guide
They appear to be rather peaceful and hardy. They have been kept successfully with schooling fish, rams, angelfish, etc.

I remember seeing that 6 is fine for a school of Corydoras. Could I add one or two more and look into some loaches?

I think the 6 Diamond Tetras and 6 Platies would be nice. Should I increase both the schools to around 8?

Butterfly Rams are just bred to have longer, flowing fins, from what I can gather. Google it, there are some gorgeous photos.

Some info on Festivums:
Flag Cichlid, Mesonauta festivus, Festivum Cichlid Fish Guide
They appear to be rather peaceful and hardy. They have been kept successfully with schooling fish, rams, angelfish, etc.

I remember seeing that 6 is fine for a school of Corydoras. Could I add one or two more and look into some loaches?

I think the 6 Diamond Tetras and 6 Platies would be nice. Should I increase both the schools to around 8?

I'd get 10 diamond tetras and 6 platies (2m 4f). Maybe some kuhli or dwarf chain loaches would be cool. If the Bolivian ram (butterfly) is similar to the balloon varieties of German blue rams, your shortening an already short life span.

I'd get 10 diamond tetras and 6 platies (2m 4f). Maybe some kuhli or dwarf chain loaches would be cool. If the Bolivian ram (butterfly) is similar to the balloon varieties of German blue rams, your shortening an already short life span.

They are quite similar. I'll keep that in mind thanks. Pity considering how beautiful they can be.

I was thinking about Kuhli. 6 of those plus the 6/8 Emeralds wouldn't be overstocked would it? The tank will be planted and I'll be sure to build caves/use pipe so that they all have somewhere to hide.

Platies aren't a schooling species. Also the emerald cories aren't true cories if I remember correctly and get kinda big.

And Bolivian and German Blue Rams are two different fish. Look almost the same but GBR has more color.

Platies aren't a schooling species. Also the emerald cories aren't true cories if I remember correctly and get kinda big.

That's strange, I'm sure I'd been told plenty of times they were. Oh well. Guess I could just look into a different colour Tetra. (y)

I am aware Emeralds grow a bit larger, I think they max at about 3.5", or so I've heard. If they are still too big, I am happy to switch them or any other Cory. I just though they might look nice shimmering along the bottom of the tank. :fish2:

And Bolivian and German Blue Rams are two different fish. Look almost the same but GBR has more color.

Sorry, I meant to say they are different, they just look a little similar (body shape, etc). :)

Platies aren't tetras, but a species of live bearers. I'm not saying dont get them but if you're looking for schooling fish then they're not what you're looking for.

Also get the emeralds if you like l, I just wanted to let you know that they're larger than other popular cories.

Platies aren't tetras, but a species of live bearers. I'm not saying dont get them but if you're looking for schooling fish then they're not what you're looking for.

Also get the emeralds if you like l, I just wanted to let you know that they're larger than other popular cories.

I know platies aren't tetras. :angel:
And I know about live bearers - guppies, swords, etc.

Just wasn't aware that platies didn't school.

I'll keep my eye out for another species of tetra, or something similar that I like.

Just after a small splash of colour and some schooling fish to reassure the more shy fish that there is nothing to fear. Dithers, I think they're called? :oops:

After researching the Bolivian butterfly's, they're just a different name for Bolivian rams, you'll be fine. I thought they were like balloon German blue rams that are bred to have a deformed back, making them look like a balloon.

You could also get a school of lemon tetras, buenos aired tetras, rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras, or a type of rainbowfish

After researching the Bolivian butterfly's, they're just a different name for Bolivian rams, you'll be fine. I thought they were like balloon German blue rams that are bred to have a deformed back, making them look like a balloon.

You could also get a school of lemon tetras, buenos aired tetras, rummynose tetras, harlequin rasboras, or a type of rainbowfish

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification.

So, if I were to keep the previously mention stocking. Add an extra Emerald Cory for good measure, an extra 2 Diamond Tetras and a school of 8 or so other schooling fish, I'd be fine? What about with four or five loaches for good measure?

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification.

So, if I were to keep the previously mention stocking. Add an extra Emerald Cory for good measure, an extra 2 Diamond Tetras and a school of 8 or so other schooling fish, I'd be fine? What about with four or five loaches for good measure?

As long as you keep up on waterchanges!

Back
Top Bottom