55g walmart stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How bad are there 55 gallon wal mart stands?

This may be my ONLY way of affording a 55g after a fluval 304 and the aquariums itself :p

Thanks for any help!

I'm not excatly postive but I believe I read before that they were plywood and there could be a major concern if they got wet.

Most DIY stands are capable of supporting tanks. This idea isn't horrible, it just isn't pretty (and of course, that depends on whether you're interested in the decor). Plywood is just that "Plyable" wood (it bends under stress). Most aquarium stands are either solid wood (high $$$) or compressed particle board (Low $$$$). Take a look around and start comparison shopping...try http://www.all-glass.com/ for some examples.

Now that you say it...I believe that the walmart stands are made of compressed particle board...

I have been looking and the low money is my option it seems. :-(

I would avoid particle board, if you can. To me, particle board and water just don't mix, and somehow, someday, the twain shall meet, if you know what I mean.

Cinderblock would be an excellent stand, but check out the AA DIY forum and see if you can't get yourself some plans for a pine stand. That is going to be a strong, long-lasting stand that can be stained or painted however you want, and you can't go wrong with it. There are tons of plans for DIY tank stands out there, so do a Google on it if you want, also.

I use a 55g Wal Mart Stand, It is particle board but it is entirely coated, not just the visible parts with water resistant stuff. I have had no problem whatsoever. I always wipe the water off if I spill but really, the water runs right off of it. Whatever coating it is that they use, it is very effective. I trust it to hold up. It's really rather sturdy. Another option out there would be an iron stand, they are definitely less expensive than a wood stand.

Save your money and get a good stand. better safe then sorry.

IF you don't wanna do that. then at least re-inforce the walmart stand with 2X4's (before you set up the tank.)

I have seen many wal-mart stands bowing in the middle after a few months of use. NOT a good thing.

i like the iron stand option-- you can always surround it with japanese rice paper to make it more pleasing to the eye. plus you will have the option of singing "I AM IRON STAND"

I have the walmart tank stand. So far so good. Its been almost 5 months. no bowing so far. BUT reinforcing does sound like a good idea.

Hey thanks for all the advice!

As far as the Iron stand...I'm concerned with placing an iron stand in my room because of the weight...I was told it would most likely be okay...but the walmart stands are wood and spread the weight a little more. Also it seems to have a cabinet wich I like.

I have read from a couple carpenter websites that it is perfectly safe as long as it is coated with waterpoofing...

I agree with the idea of reinforcing as it is helpfull

Iron stands are actually lighter than wooden ones. The only problem with them is that often the feet are small so they tend to concentrate tank weight in small areas, which can leave a divot in the floor.

I have used a 55gal Wal-Mart stand on my tanks for years with no trouble at all.
I say go for it and the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom