55gal community fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggygirl37

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all

I have 55gal well planted community tank which is currently home to many tetras (rummy nose, lemon yellow, black skirt, glass, bloodfin) as well as some otto cats, ammano shrimp and rock shrimp.

I was considering adding some FEMALE bettas. What are your thoughts on that?

This is my set up.

ForumRunner_20120920_134500.jpg

froggygirl37 said:
Hi all

I have 55gal well planted community tank which is currently home to many tetras (rummy nose, lemon yellow, black skirt, glass, bloodfin) as well as some otto cats, ammano shrimp and rock shrimp.

I was considering adding some FEMALE bettas. What are your thoughts on that?

This is my set up.

I would research your tetras if they ate nippy, bright flashy colors also can set off bettas females do tend to be less agressive but each are different and if want more than one atleast 4 or 5 so there is a heirarchy and not to much bullying ive got one male betta with two neon tetras at the moment in a 10g i plan to add more

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120920_114214.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120920_114214.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 88
It will mostly come down to your fish and their temperament. You could try, but I would have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out with the betta. Females are generally less aggressive but they can still be nasty.

How many you try depends on your tank setup. How many of each of the other fish do you have? Do you have a lot of hiding spots or places that can be claimed as territories? The more betta you add the more risk you have of having a nasty one.

tamtam said:
It will mostly come down to your fish and their temperament. You could try, but I would have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out with the betta. Females are generally less aggressive but they can still be nasty.

How many you try depends on your tank setup. How many of each of the other fish do you have? Do you have a lot of hiding spots or places that can be claimed as territories? The more betta you add the more risk you have of having a nasty one.

I agree with you on that and a back up plan is always best

"Many tetras" is a warning sign to me.

Betta's rarely survive in community tanks due to either being harassed by top/middle swimming fish or from stress due to the constant movement of other fish.

So depending on how many 'many' is I would say you're chances of successfully integrating a betta would be very low and likely result in death of the betta with 1 to 2 days.

Cynic said:
"Many tetras" is a warning sign to me.

Betta's rarely survive in community tanks due to either being harassed by top/middle swimming fish or from stress due to the constant movement of other fish.

So depending on how many 'many' is I would say you're chances of successfully integrating a betta would be very low and likely result in death of the betta with 1 to 2 days.

That is agreed, research research research

DON'T I just had a buddy try the exact same thing, even after tons of research.
Some were killed, all were nipped, some got ich, some died from ich.

It's not just the betta you need to worry about dying.

I had lots of tetras before i switched to Mbuna.
Try adding a cool pleco or catfish like a spotted or striped raphael(nocturnal)
or my favorites that arent super expensive are a marble sailfin pleco or a zebra pleco. I have a marble sailfin in my 55 gallon, he is AWESOME absolutely gorgeous fish as they get bigger.

Gorgeous tank though!

Thanks for all the advice.

I have 5 of each kind. I think ill just add the betta to my frog tank instead!

Thanks for all the advice.

I have 5 of each kind. I think ill just add the betta to my frog tank instead!

That may be better but again, no guarantee they will be ok together. Though I hear lots of success stories so hopefully it will work.

If you want something for your tetra tank why not try a dwarf or honey gourami? Would make a great center piece fish and come in a lot of color variations as well.

Back
Top Bottom