56 Gallon finalization questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been harping on this awhile so here is hopefully my finalized plans!!!!

Equipement:
56 Gallon Column Tank
Fluval c4 HOB (Sponge filter later)
Bubble WAND (Not stone)
2x 150 Watt Heaters
Light (Duh)

Stocking:
Schools:
10x Zebra Danio
10x Celestial Pearl Danio?
10x Gold Ringed Danio?
10x Harlquien Rasboras
10x Glowlight Tetra

Cleaners:
6x Black Kuhli Loaches
6x Julii Corydoras
5-6x Otocinclus

Additional:
Shrimp and/or Dwarf Crayfish if possible.

Notes:
I think this would be overstocked so I am probably gonna eliminate the CPDs or the Gold Ringed Danios. Also I might try live plants.

Looks like it'll be a very lively and fun tank to watch :)

You might consider getting 2x C4's/AC70s. I'd actually recommend an AC110 for this tank, but you'd have to modify a notch into the output so it would fit because of the center brace, if you wanted it to hang on the back.

A circulation pump is another thing you could look into.

That would indeed be a lively tank! Truthfully, i don't know that it would be overstocked since some of your schoolers are soooo small. But, I am not sure. You would definitely be safer to remove a school or 2 from your plan. After all, you can always see how it goes, and maybe add them in the future if you think they would be happy. If it was me, I would cut the zebra danios. They are bigger, so they sort of seem out of place to me. They are also the IMO, they are also the least pretty. Thats just my opinion though. I am sure it will look awesome if you kept them and cut something else.

If you're talking about your column tank, my personal opinion only, is that you're way overstocked. Surface area determines oxygen transfer rate, not tank size. 68 fish in a 56 gallon tank that has the surface area of a 30 gallon breeder. Even in a 55 long (much more surface area) I think you would need to cut the quantity down. Again, just my opinion, and that and 5 pennies get you a nickel.

Of course, if you're willing to maintain a two or three time PWC a week, or supplement the nitrate build up with lots of plants, or etc... But I still think you'd spend a lot of time chasing water parameters.

This is from AqAdvisor.com:

AquStockImage.php

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 64.4 - 75.2F: Zebra Danio
=> 64.4 - 75.2F: Celestial Pearl Danio
=> 64.4 - 75.2F: Golden Zebra Danio
=> 71.6 - 77F: Harlequin Rasbora
=> 75.2 - 82.4F: Glowlight Tetra
=> 68 - 82.4F: Oto
=> 75.2 - 86F: Kuhli Loach
=> 77 - 82.4F: Julii Cory
[Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 70%.
Recommended water change schedule: 34% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 124%.

your footprint is actually smaller than a 56 gallon - more like a 30-40 gallon.
Based on the the dimensions, I would describe it like a tall-hex tank.

I personally would cut the danio school to 8-12
Rasboras to 6-8
Glowlights to 6-8

Wow thanks yall! I could make the schools a little smaller. Do yall think the fish would be ok in the same tank? I didnt realize the loaches require slightly warmer water... I keep my water at about 75

I don't think that there is a temperature issue but that is a lot of fish in a relatively small space. Also, Cpd's are tiny and don't work well with larger community fish.
I could take them out. Would the tank look empty?

2 questions. 1) would the CPO be compatable and 2) if I also used a marina slim s10 would that be enough filtration?

oh and what kind of difference would live plants make?

+1 for live plants. I'm a firm believer that having them just makes for better quality of life in your fishies.

They'll only do so if you take poor care of them, and even then when I've had a massive plant die out it was just the substrate that was littered with debris. It was the subsequent algae bloom that clouded the water.

You can get away with a 2x39w T5HO fixture on the tank, but your plants might look a bit lanky given how tall the tank is. I've found that ~100w in this particular tank is where the easier plants start to look pretty nice. The most successful plant I've grown in a 56 column is rotala rotundifola. Grows tall, leafy and stout under ~100w with some seachem ferts.

It's also a nice way to rid your tank of some nitrates.

Here's some pics of a 56 in the early stages and height of growth;

Full

Early

Even just a few plants can give a really nice natural look to your tank. I think you should go for it :)

Here's some pics of a 56 in the early stages and height of growth;

Full

Early

Even just a few plants can give a really nice natural look to your tank. I think you should go for it :)
cool! I might just try a few with some fakies lol What is the black fish?

Those are Hoplosternum littorale. And they're extremely resilient (you can find them in drainage ditches in Florida, I hear) and playful. They like to chew on fingers too :)

GodFan said:
2 questions. 1) would the CPO be compatable and 2) if I also used a marina slim s10 would that be enough filtration?

I doubt it... I would suggest atleast 450 gph

I doubt it... I would suggest atleast 450 gph
Just curious, did you also see the filter he listed in the first post? You probably did, I'm just asking.:)

So, I originally agreed with your stock, but Dale pointed out that a column tank does not have much surface area for oxygen exhchange. I agree. I had apparently forgotten about the column part. So, now I am going to recommend against getting zebra danios. They are fast, active, and really like horizontal swimming space. Typically, they are not recommended for anything less than the horizontal space of a 20 long. So, I don't know the exact measurements of your tank, but IMO, you should avoid fish who need horizontal swimming space. I think your other fish choices are good since they are basically nano fish.
What are the dimensions of our tank?

Back
Top Bottom