5g RCS breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a 2.5g tank with RCS and java moss in it that I decided to re-home to a new 5.5g tank I bought at an aquarium auction. I didn't move the small amount of Fluval substrate that I had in the tank with them, however (considering making a planted nano-tank).

Is there a substrate that would work best for RCS? I was thinking about using either a very light or very dark substrate to try to show their colors off the best (would help to see them while vacuuming the substrate). White? Dark blue?

Should I consider sand, or run-of-the-mill gravel? I probably won't plant anything in this tank - only java moss.

Sand would be an interesting choice. That doesn't mix well with a gravel vac, does it?

Would RCS show up better on a dark color than, say, white?

James_in_MN said:
Sand would be an interesting choice. That doesn't mix well with a gravel vac, does it?

Would RCS show up better on a dark color than, say, white?

You simply hold the vac just above the sand as any waste will stay on he surface :)

Agree, sand is best.

When I vac my 3 sand substrate tanks, I have no issue with holding the python 1/4 inch above substrate. It does suck everything up. (y)

Oh boy.

I've already transferred the RCS and java moss to the 5g tank a few days ago, prior to buying the black sand. Do I have to take them out while I put the sand in?

I'm having nightmares of chasing 20+ RCS around that tank with a net. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom