5gal stocking suggestions *groan...*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Tank Girl! You know if your tap is not too hard to drop a few points with the filter peat, liquroice gourami would work. They may not ever breed , but they are wee lil things . Not colorful but not mainstream for sure...
I can even hook ya up since I am buying some soon. I could grab extra before this CA guy gets em. Not like they wiil take space where they are going.
soon I will be The Anabantid Alley, your friendly specimin keeper..heh

Mind you, I'd only do it for members I know have a good handle on water and can keep the wee things up and running (they are healthy as horses as long as their water is soft and warm)
My guy always gets odd things from his supplier and now he allows more in the mix so I can support this kids..^_^ Least i got those good deals for the starting point..heh!

5 gal

Hey tankgirl, any ideas yet...? I'll spit out a bunch of ideas but I doubt you'd be interested in any of them...
crayfish, water bugs(i've kept them before), a leech(they're fun to watch), firebelly newt, you could breed live food...
toads, salamanders, a small snake(there are a few that would be ok in a tank that small), millipedes :wink: , pill bugs, sow bugs, scorpion, spider...

Well, those are some of the things that I have kept in the past that I had fun with... Just thought I'd throw a few more options out there... If you ever to cross over into the creepy crawly side of pets then make sure to check out www.reptileadvice.com
If you insist on sticking to aquariums and you had any interest, a tank with different types of water insects can be fun to watch... many different types of water beetles, dragonfly nymphs, and quite a few other little critters... I find them pretty interesting to watch...

I am interested in oddballs, for sure. I have thought about the crayfish thing because I tried to keep one in my oscar tank years ago and it was not a happy marriage, but in the small tank by itself it could be the "feature creature" if you know what I mean. Right now I think I will "insist on sticking with aquariums." (LOL!)

However, I am very interestd in the licorice gourami, assuming it is P. deissneri or P. nagyi? I think they the male has lovely colors and I have not ever seen them offered anywhere. My tap water softens right up with CO2, which I am running in the 5gal, but stable KH of 5dg. Need to check my GH, but it is usually about 10dg, moderately hard.

Back
Top Bottom