6 gal or 10 gal?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whats Better 6 gal or 10 gal or even 125 gal for a 14 year old new comer to the fish loving world?

• 10 Gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Gallons

• 125 gallons

• Wait till you have money or just dont get one

• Total voters
R

Rudy_627

should i get a 6 gal for 50 dollars or a 10 gal for 100 dollars with a protien skimmer filter and ect.? cause im starting out with FW and FO tank cause i dont have 700$ to spend on a 125 gallon fish tank cause im only 14 what should i do?

Protein skimmers only work in saltwater tanks. Get a 10, read up on the nitrogen cycle, and thinking of what fish you want in the tank.

I would say no to the 125 because if you screw up, it can be a huge mistake. Might as well get going on something small and managable. Research is the key here, a 10g tank can hold a wide variety of fish, but you need to be very careful not to stick too many fish in the tank.

i already have an idea tell me if you think these fish are good

Guppys
1 Beta
Glass Cats
maybe some more fish later

A Betta and a school of Cories is nice in a 10g tank, just do not expect to put much more in there.

I think you can fit more than a betta and a few cories in a 10gal tank. You may have a problem mixing a betta with male guppies though due to the guppies flashy fins. If you want guppies, I would just add them and a few cories. If your set on a betta, maybe a betta, four or five schooling tetras like the gold tetras and a few cories for the bottom would work. My daughter has a ten gallon tank that is doing very well and she has, a male betta, three gold tetras, three cherry barbs, three cories an otto cat and a hillstream loach. This has been a good mix.

6 Cories and a Betta would work. You would not stick all the fish in the tank at once to get started. Search for "fishless cycling" for information on how to get a tank fish ready. I would not do Glass Cats in addition to the Cories and Betta.

The glass cat can reach 4" and should be kept in groups. They would get to big for your tank in my opinion. A good number for cories is 3+. Good luck with your tank.

With Cories, the more the better. They like to spend time together and act more lively if they are in bigger groups.

thanks for your help im gonna go look at that 10 gallon mix i just saw so ill brb in a few min

ok i saw the fish that you told me about and i looked at a 10 gallon tank and i dont have 130$

That's really expensive for a ten gallon tank. Our Walmart sells ten gallon setups for $40. May not be the best equipment but, I've never had a problem with their tank setups. If the 6 gallon is more affordable for you, then I would just get maybe 3 cory cats and the betta or maybe a trio of guppies with the cory cats. You might want to look into the pygmy cories also to save space. Good luck.

$130 is way too much for a 10g tank. Go to Wal Mart, they should sell two 10g setups with filters, heaters, hoods, and some weater conditioner. One has a flourescent light and submersible heater, the other has screw in bulbs and a super crappy heater. Get the one with the flourecent light and submersible heater, it will be under $50. The equipment is not the best stuff around, but it will get you started cheap. A stand will be about $25 if you need it, gravel and plants will cost a bit as well... Obviously the fish cost money too, and get a few different kinds of food.

[center:9106aa665f] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Rudy_627!! :n00b: [/center:9106aa665f]

You could put together a great 20 gal tank for under $100. Start looking around! Find a bargain finder/penny saver type publication and look for a tank. 10 gals are easy to over stock and due to the small volume of water, water parameters can get out of hand easily.
A few months ago, I bought a 25 gal tank with Ebo Jager heater and Aqua Clear filter for $100 CAD. Do not rush into this purchase. If you look around, you will find a great deal!

well im desperate for a fish tank im tring to find a very very CHEAP or REASONABE price im looking for a 50 gal at max under 100$ if i can but i called my LWM and they have a 10 gal tank for 10$ i was like HOLY CRAP so i dont think i can get any more reasoable than that but if i can i would like a bigger tank if you all could help me id appreciate it if you can find someone with a cheap fish aquarium with 10-50 gallon max tank in Tulsa, OK

Menagerie has a point. You could check your local classifieds to find deals. The $10 tank is just that. A tank. To buy the whole setup it will cost you about $30+. They also sell 55gal setups for around $139.

10 and 15 gal tanks are often sold at $1/gallon, but that does not get you a lid, lights, heater, filter, substrate or decor. You need to price out tops--they are pretty pricey.

Back
Top Bottom