60 Gallon Dwarf Cichlid Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaninahat75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting a 60 gallon tank for Christmas this year. I already have a Marineland C360 canister filter rated for 100 gallons. I was thinking of doing sand as the substrate and while id like to do live plants, I know that the loach and cichlids would probably uproot them. My question is on the stocking. Here is what I was thinking.

2 x german blue ram non breeding

2 x cockatoo cichlids non breeding

1 x blue acara or electric blue acara

4 - 6 x yoyo loach

10 x diamond tetras

8-12 other schooling fish

Would this work as a community tank? I'm worried that the acara will be big enough to eat some of the other fish. Also is this overstocked? If not, what other kind of schooling fish would go well in this tank. I'm trying to keep the fish between 2-4 inches.

I'd skip the Acara for 3 reasons: 1. Most all fish are happier with others of their kind. Virtually all fish do better in groups or schools. 2. They get big and are carnivorous . 3 They dig up plants.

I'd skip the Acara for 3 reasons: 1. Most all fish are happier with others of their kind. Virtually all fish do better in groups or schools. 2. They get big and are carnivorous . 3 They dig up plants.
Any suggestions on a replacement for the acara?

Any suggestions on a replacement for the acara?

How are you going to have 2 rams non-breeding? Go with 2 same sex?

Same as apistos?

Apisto and rams might battle it out... Provide enough cover and you should be okay.

No from me on on acara as well.

Schooling fish - tetras most common. Any will work in a 60 gallon.

Rams / apisto will not dig up sand or disturb plants too much in my experience

How are you going to have 2 rams non-breeding? Go with 2 same sex?

Same as apistos?

Apisto and rams might battle it out... Provide enough cover and you should be okay.

No from me on on acara as well.

Schooling fish - tetras most common. Any will work in a 60 gallon.

Rams / apisto will not dig up sand or disturb plants too much in my experience
Yes I wad planning on getting two of the same sex, male if I can find them. I plan on stocking the cichlids first as juvies at the same time so they can claim their territory then adding the rest of the fish slowly as to not put a strain on the bioload. I'm planning on using sheet rock to give them plenty of small caves and cover as well as plants, real or fake, to help break it up a bit.

I wouldn't say you couldn't make this list of fish work. With Cichlids it's hit or miss on temperament sometimes. Be prepared to possibly remove and separate highly aggressive fish.

If you go with this list add all of the Cichlids last and at the same time as juvies. Stick to your caves and plants to block line of sight and for territories. If you are worried about plants being uprooted put a few moderate sized stones surrounding the base of the plants.

Your tank wouldn't be overstocked IMO. However, I would go with Bolivian Rams over German Blue Rams to minimize possible aggression between ram and apisto.

10-12 diamond tetras is a good number. Anymore fish besides what you listed would be getting into overstocking IMO.

I'd also get a second marineland C360. You'll want between 10-15x tank turnover per hour. 50% water changes every week.

Is your tank cycled and ready to go?

Acara are far larger once properly grown. They will dominate feedings. Rams are cute and all but extremely difficult in a community tank for various reasons. In that size tank.. its tall... pick a centerpiece fish.. a few acara perhaps. Maybe a few larger tetras ( 2+" because acara will eat them) and maybe some bottom dwellers like larger cory cats?

I wouldn't say you couldn't make this list of fish work. With Cichlids it's hit or miss on temperament sometimes. Be prepared to possibly remove and separate highly aggressive fish.

If you go with this list add all of the Cichlids last and at the same time as juvies. Stick to your caves and plants to block line of sight and for territories. If you are worried about plants being uprooted put a few moderate sized stones surrounding the base of the plants.

Your tank wouldn't be overstocked IMO. However, I would go with Bolivian Rams over German Blue Rams to minimize possible aggression between ram and apisto.

10-12 diamond tetras is a good number. Anymore fish besides what you listed would be getting into overstocking IMO.

I'd also get a second marineland C360. You'll want between 10-15x tank turnover per hour. 50% water changes every week.

Is your tank cycled and ready to go?
I'll look into the Bolivian rams and getting another c360. And I'm not allowed to start the tank until Christmas so I'm still in the planning stages. Having it sitting my living room with everything I need to start cycling and not being able to is getting tough.

Brookster gave some good common sense advice. I have a problem with trying to experiment with things to see for myself if it can work or not. That's why I said be prepared to remove some fish if need be. With Cichlids, sometimes it works a lot of times it doesn't. But if you can get it to work it's pretty cool. [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom