60 gallon ropefish stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daubentonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! This is my current stocking idea for my planted 60 gallon with a fluval 306 filter:

-2 ropefish
-5 congo tetras
-3 siamese algae eaters

Is this overstocked or could I add more tetras? If those don't work are there other schooling fish I could keep with ropes without overstocking?

I think you could add a few more tetras

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

im thinking the rope fish might eat the tetras

Definitely not going to happen, Ropefish are very peaceful and even at full length would never eat a Congo Tetra.
To the OP I do think you could add a couple more Tetras to the mix. Check with Aqadvisor to get a rough idea of where you stand with that current stock then play around with it, add a few more Tetras, and add another Ropefish. I'm thinking maybe upping the school of Tetras to 8 and Rope to 3 and see what It says on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree the ropefish isn't going to eat your Congo tetras (unless they're babies). Also, ropefish really need to be with other ropefish, so I recommend 3.

I have a 55 gallon with 3 ropefish, 2 German blue rams, 2 veil angels, 2 siamese algae eaters, and an African butterfly fish. It's been stocked this way for well over a year and I haven't had any problems. (Yes, I do realize I am bordering being overstocked.)

I agree with bichir bro ropefish like the company of their of other ropefish and convos get to large for ropefish to eat

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies!

So I went to my LFS to get the congos, but the ones they had were babies (so I would have to wait a while to get the ropefish) and I saw they had these beautiful banded rainbows that were on sale. So I ended up getting 4 banded rainbows.

With my current stock (4 banded rainbows and 3 SAE's), Aquavisor says that I should add more filtration if I get more than one ropefish. If I do frequent water changes do you think I could still have at least 2?

With my current stock (4 banded rainbows and 3 SAE's), Aquavisor says that I should add more filtration if I get more than one ropefish. If I do frequent water changes do you think I could still have at least 2?

I'm not sure the size of your filter, but if it is for a 60gal aquarium you could add the two ropefish. Just be mindful of your water parameters, and do your weekly water changes.

Thank you! I have the Fluval 306 for up to 70 gallons. Hoping to get the ropes with in the next couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom