60G Peacock/Hap Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had another post of this in the cichlid section of the forum, but it got taken over by someone else who decided to post a ton of pictures of their fish there. I am going to try to keep updating this forum post with progress pictures of my fish.

I got them all small. I am hoping that I chose all males, but unfortunately that doesn't always work out. As many of you know trying to pick cichlids that are all males when they're juveniles is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I bought 5 fish today and these are them

1 - Yellow Peacock
1 - A. jacobfreibergi (Eureka)
1 - N. venustus
1 - Yellow Lab
1 - A. stuartgranti (Mdoka)

I will try to update with pictures as soon as possible. Your opinions as to if I sexed properly and got all males would be great.

These are the only 2 I could get pictures of.. Everyone else won't come out of the rocks yet

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1450381345115.jpg
    1450381345115.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1450381359945.jpg
    1450381359945.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 90
I would take out the venustus, they get pretty big for a 60. Yellow labs are more peaceful mbuna, so there probably won't be problems there. By yellow peacock are you referring to sunshines? Assuming the yellow is a sunshine, it sounds good other than the venustus, which will outgrow the tank over time. Of course, observe the fish and if you see any problems, fix them to the best of your ability. Good luck!

I am aware of how big the giraffe gets. I plan on doing some trading once he gets too big. I just love his coloration and have always wanted one. As to the yellow peacock I do not have a picture of him yet.. But I can show you a picture from the internet. When I got him the scientific name was warn

This is the yellow peacock

Attachments

• 1450397964935.jpg
    1450397964935.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 71
Looks like a sunshine, besides the venustus all of those fish can live in your tank full term. I am with you, I like venustus as well. Any plans for what you will get when you trade the venustus? Just curious

I still plan on adding 5 more fish:

1 - A. kandeense
1 - P. steveni
1 - A. guentheri
1 - A. aquilonium
1 - P. marginatus

As for replacing the Giraffe I haven't thought about it yet.

I am a bit concerned because everyone is hiding in the rocks besides the yellow lab and the giraffe. I am going to add more rocks soon to hopefully give them more hiding places and that will make them come out more. I am also about to feed them so I will see how that goes

This is the best picture I could get of one of them

Attachments

• 1450399391395.jpg
    1450399391395.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 68
Those fish would probably work, not sure about the turqouise hap, can't find info on their max size. I would consider this your max stock, even after you remove the venustus.

That would be max stock. I do not plan on adding more after that. 3 of them are all hiding in one cave I have in my tank. That can't be normal.

You can only see 2 in the picture

Attachments

• 1450401616599.jpg
    1450401616599.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 60
I would keep a sharp eye on them for a while, and if they don't come out of the cave, one of the cichlids must be a bully male. If they don't come out, watch the fish that are active outside the cave, one of them may be the reason the others are hiding.

I don't want to look too hard into it yet. They were just added to the tank today. I'm sure the stress from moving and everything is getting at them right now. I'm sure they'll come around within a day or 2.

Not to mention I also have dogs that love to watch my fish. That can't help them adjust either

I don't want to look too hard into it yet. They were just added to the tank today. I'm sure the stress from moving and everything is getting at them right now. I'm sure they'll come around within a day or 2.

Not to mention I also have dogs that love to watch my fish. That can't help them adjust either

Yeah considering they are African cichlids they are still probably settling the dominance thing. How long have they been in there?

That's what I'm assuming. I just find it funny that the venustus and the lab are fine with just swimming around the whole tank

That's what I'm assuming. I just find it funny that the venustus and the lab are fine with just swimming around the whole tank

The lab and venustus are probably the most bold/aggressive out of the group. They must know they are the top dogs

Back
Top Bottom