65 flat back hex...or 65 tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both will have less surface area than a regular 65 gal. The hex may lave less surface area. The problem with that is you need to make sure enough oxygen is reaching the fish. Part of it depends of what fish you will be putting in the tank and how much current will be provided by the filter.

Just for my info--What is a flat back hex?? It still has six sides?

That's kind of cute--hadn't seen it before. It would provide more surface area than a regular hex, but your view will still be distorted. I have a hard time seeing/counting my fish in my small 10 gal hex. I would also think the cost difference would be large.

I'd also say the flatback, unless I was profiling one species in the tall and it looked better or something . . . but overall, the flatback is better. Why? Are you planning on purchasing one or the other?

Well..i am shopping around..a local petstore had a 48 gallon kit with lights, stand, and a fluval 304...over $600 i think. It was a hagen pro system but i didn't like how it was only 12 inches wide. They also had a 90 gallon which was sweet...but might be a bit too expensive to equip with filter etc. So i was torn between the 65 tall and the 65 flat-back hex. I liked the look of the hex for asthetic reasons..just something different but the practicality of lighting it and the visual distortion is a concern.

Incidentally, what's a good price for a used fluval 404...someone is selling one for $95.

That's a fair price and way cheaper than you will find for a new one!
I don't think lighting will be a problem for the fish, were you planning on having plants?

Yes...probably get up to 2wpg or slightly above that..so lower light plants...i just thought it might be difficult to light the hex evenly

Back
Top Bottom