65 gal acrylic hex tank repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Youngstownfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I found this 65 gal acrylic hexagon tank at a local Goodwill. I really enjoy the hexagon tanks since not many people have them.(I already have a 20gal glass hex tank set up)

The acrylic is in great shape with some minor scratches and a few deeper ones. There was about $80 worth of accessories in the stand it was on.
Here's my process of making this new again and making it my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I will be putting my 2 African Spotted Leaf fish in there along with various colors of African Cichlids

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome find! I have a 65 gal hex as well, although it's glass. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not set up right now, but here's some pics from back when it was.

I used it for saltwater since I bought it from someone and that's what they used it for and it came with all the rock and fish. When I get the chance to set it up again in the future I definitely think I'm going to go freshwater.

Attachments

• 1444911810114.jpg
    1444911810114.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 1444911835624.jpg
    1444911835624.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 109
It's not set up right now, but here's some pics from back when it was.

I used it for saltwater since I bought it from someone and that's what they used it for and it came with all the rock and fish. When I get the chance to set it up again in the future I definitely think I'm going to go freshwater.

Awesome! I bet that tank was super heavy with it being glass. Mine is really light since its acrylic. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was glass haha. I love the tanks that aren't the regular rectangles, thanks for the pics if yours

Thanks! Yep, it's extremely heavy lol. No problem! I love hex tanks as well, I currently have a 5 gal hex set up.

How's the tank going?

The tank is all buffed and clean! But I still want to put some acrylic weld on the one seam just for safety. I want to get it done but school is keeping me from having enough time to finish it. I plan on completing it in the summer though!

I have the fishes in a planted 35 gallon hex tank currently and they love it!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456849928.764509.jpg

Awesome! The 35 looks amazing! Are you going to plant the 65 as well?

Awesome! The 35 looks amazing! Are you going to plant the 65 as well?

Thanks!! I'm not sure yet because the hole up top limits my accessibility to the bottom of the tank. I literally can only tough the bottom if I stick my head through the opening up top... Which means my head would be in water unless I drain enough before maintenance lol. I might just use it as a future cichlid tank so I can just place rocks and leave them be.

Gotcha. I had that issue with my tank as well. I was also thinking a pretty strong light would be necessary to reach all the way to the bottom.

Gotcha. I had that issue with my tank as well. I was also thinking a pretty strong light would be necessary to reach all the way to the bottom.

Oh yeah definitely. I was thinking of using 2 24" T5 HO fluorescent bulbs since i don't want to drop the money on LEDs or metal halide lol.

I don't blame you lol. How tall is your tank? If I recall mine is something like 36 inches.

Ahh, I see. I'll have to measure mine when I get the chance. It seems like your dimensions are different than mine. I believe mine is a bit taller and thinner. I'd take 6 inches shorter, haha. Thanks!

I really think mine is bigger than those dimensions too lol. I need to uncover it and measure to see

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom