7.6-7.8 pH.... Good for these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
Although these are in the higher range of what these fish can handle, according to FishProfiles, they can all sustain between 6-8pH (with the exception being a molley- 7.5-8.5pH)

Molly (obviously will be just fine)
Neon Tetras
Cordys
Gouramis

Gouramis are sensitive to change, but the pH will be constantly at this pH. I have a limestone rock in the tank now, and the pH is stable at about 7.6-7.8 (closer to 7.6) with little to no fluctuations. Should I yank out the limestone holley rock, and put in some driftwood instead? I like the look of the limestone, but these are my definate fish list, so I will make the water adaptable to them (I could naturally get the pH to low 7s and keep it stable).

Help would be appreciated... thanks,
Andy

I would remove the limestone and replace it with something else (one option would be lava rock). I suggest this mainly because it is unnecessarily increasing the levels. If you want to keep it in there, that is fine also.

pH is not really a big concern unless it is in the really high range. Fish adapt. I am keeping German Blue Rams, True Rummynose Tetras, and Angels in pH 8.2 with liquid rock hardness. They are doing beautifully. As long as you buy the fish locally (or at a lfs that has a similar pH), you will be fine. There is no need to alter the pH.

Honestly, the driftwood in our tank did nothing for the pH. If you check my profile, you will see what I am keeping in 8.2. Naturally the Africans are thriving, but my community fish are also.

Fishyfanatic said:
I would remove the limestone and replace it with something else (one option would be lava rock). I suggest this mainly because it is unnecessarily increasing the levels. If you want to keep it in there, that is fine also.

It wont take it higher than 7.8 though correct? It seems to not be moving, but just wanted to make sure. I definately like the look of the texas holley limestone. It gives it an almost saltwater look.

I know that crushed coral stops buffering at 7.8 pH, but am unsure about limestone. If it has been stable at 7.8 for several weeks, then I would assume that it buffers at that level also.

I agree with you on the holley rock. It is very nice looking. Just make sure that when buying new fish, they are acclimated slowly if they are coming from a water source with a lower pH. Also, avoid wild caught species.

Back
Top Bottom