72G chaos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haven't posted in awhile but I have had some issues with the water babies these last few weeks so figured I'd hop on and share....

Well, I've had 3 of my platy females pass away recently. My favorite and most beautiful painted, my mickey mouse, and my sunburst. Not super happy- not 100% sure what's going on. After the first one passed, I decided to get rid of 2 of the males. I thought maybe my M:F ratio was off and the males were harassing my females to death. But, then I lost 2 more females AFTER the males were gone so thinking that wasn't it.... Turned lights on this morning and there was the sunburst dead. Also, on a totally random and gruesome note, my BN pleco was eating her (or atl east trying to) so that was great. :facepalm: Anyway, I think the bettas (well mostly the male) is bullying the platys. I had been starting to watch everybody a little more and a little closer and turns out Butter Bean was being a total jerkbag. The platys would spend most of their time hiding behind/in the big piece of coral to avoid being chased by Butter Bean. I have a feeling they were not eating very well from this as well. None of my other fish seem to be targets, the mollies and tetras are fine and Butter Bean doesn't seem to bother them one bit. I have several babies in the mix as well (about 5 platys and 4 mollies) that don't seem to be targets. So, after further consideration, I am removing the bettas and going to find them new homes. They were in the community for about a year and I never had issues until now- but it is what it is. I'm a little bummed but if it's going to keep my other fish safe then it has to happen.
The other thing that's going on.... My black BN pleco has just up and DISAPEARED. I mean it's GONE GONE. :blink: I haven't seen it for several days. I am doing my WC today so I'm hoping I can find it and shoo it out from it's hiding spot and I am praying it's not dead. The BNs are my favorite water babies. WISH ME LUCK!!

UPDATE!!!
Both bettas have found new homes and are no longer wreaking havoc on the community. All of my original adult platys ended up passing BUT I have some offspring of theirs that are going strong. They are all orange painted except for 1 orange micky mouse. Sooooo I bought a green lantern male and introduced him yesterday. I also popped in a blue micky mouse female just to spice up the color variation. Should yield some interesting baby colors. :dance:
Everybody seems to be happier in the tank. Nobody is hiding and haven't had anymore deaths. I never did find my black BN pleco- She must have passed away and her body scavenged. :blink:
I also got a gold dust molly male to add to the community. I have a ton of young mollies- all are half dalmation/half black so wanted something to break up the black and white. :lol:
I am thinking about rehoming all my tetras... Well I may keep my cardinals but I have black and red neons that could go. We'll see...

That's great news! Sorry you had to move the bettas out and you pleco is gone. Fish are so unpredictable, def keeps you on your toes. Anyone that thinks fish keeping is boring has never kept an aquarium imo

That's great news! Sorry you had to move the bettas out and you pleco is gone. Fish are so unpredictable, def keeps you on your toes. Anyone that thinks fish keeping is boring has never kept an aquarium imo

So true! I also think a lot of people don't understand the effort it takes to keep your aquarium not only happy but healthy. It's not as simple as just throwing some water in a tank and calling it good :lol:

Back
Top Bottom