75 gal cycle w/ ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speed

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to cycle a new tank, 75 gallon using liquid ammonia (fishless). I've done my homework so yes it's pure ammonia ( no surfactant, scents or any of that. Running 2 HOB filters (75 & 55g filters ). I've added bio- boost to help the process & have plenty of media in filters. I added the ammonia about a wk ago (6/26) to 3-4ppm. I test daily with masters kit, but ammonia still isn't dropping & nitrites not rising. Granted its been a wk & I know the whole process CAN take 4-6 wks but looks like it would be dropping some. Am I getting impatient or is this not normal. Looks like I would see some sort of change by now.

I think this is normal my cycle was taking ages so i got mature media from a friend maybe you should try that if you want a fast cycle

I think this is normal my cycle was taking ages so i got mature media from a friend maybe you should try that if you want a fast cycle

That's good advice. The cycle will move faster if you "seed" your filter media with some established bacteria colonies.

Also, a word of warning once you get to the Nitrite stage - do not let the Nitrite get above the 2-3 PPM level (hard to determine on the API scale as it kinda stinks). If the Nitrites get too high, the cycle will stall for weeks and weeks.

Ask me how I know . . . :D

Patience.

CMOS

Back
Top Bottom