75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Might be getting a free 75 gallon soon! Was thinking about doing an Oscar and a knifefish but I have no idea if they would get along or not...any help would be awesome!

theres a chance you can pull it off with alot of work but the oscar is going to out grow the knife fish alot quicker and may bully it and oscars have a large bio load and you need great water conditions for the knife fish

Here are some good setups you could do.
1 Oscar
2 Green Terrors or 2 Jack Dempseys (I like the Electric Blue ones) 2 Dinosaur Bichirs, Bristlenose Pleco, and an African Featherfin Catfish.
An oddball tank with 2 African Brown Knifes, 1 Peacock Eel, 2 Angel Fish, 2 Dinosaur Bichirs 2 Blood Parrots

And, just for clarification, each line in vanimal's post was a new idea. You can't put all those fish in.

If you want an oscar (I don't blame you!) You could put a convict cichlid with the oscar. Convicts grow to be less than half the size of an oscar but they are quite mean so they will not get bullied.

bud29 said:
And, just for clarification, each line in vanimal's post was a new idea. You can't put all those fish in.

If you want an oscar (I don't blame you!) You could put a convict cichlid with the oscar. Convicts grow to be less than half the size of an oscar but they are quite mean so they will not get bullied.

Yeah that sounds good! One Oscar would be kinda boring but keep in mind a 75 is minimum for an Oscar so you should have good filtration.

I love all the ideas guys. But just a quick question. I should only put one convict with the Oscar right?

Also, I just want to remind you that Oscars are very messy but need very clean water. This means that bi-weekly or tri-weekly water changes in excess of 50% may be necessary to keep it healthy.

That's fine I just bought a brand new python water changer and I think it's extremely fun to use haha

bud29 said:
Also, I just want to remind you that Oscars are very messy but need very clean water. This means that bi-weekly or tri-weekly water changes in excess of 50% may be necessary to keep it healthy.

GREAT filtration is a must to. If it were me I would either get a nice canister filter or 2 of the Bio Wheel filters that have 2 wheels if you get what I mean.

Ok so your going with
1 Oscar
1 Convict
2 Emperor 400s??

Do you guys think there is room for a Bristlenose or Rubberlip Pleco?

I really hope there's room for a bristlenose...I want to do sand instead of gravel but what looks better black or tan?

Color really doesn't matter, but I would go for a more fine-grained substrate as I believe cichlids are diggers I do think you could put one BN in there but be warned that it may be bullied.

Back
Top Bottom