75 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hairgrass is out of the picture for most any tank without at least full spec LED and with that said, even if you went with the lights needed, from personal experience with oranda and ranchu babies, goldfish absolutely love Hairgrass, they tear it out from the roots and shred it until your filters are clogged and poisoning your tank, lol. I now have 2 oranda in a 90g hex, replaced my mystery snails with Japanese trap door snails added a school of 15 longfinned blue and 10 golden leopard long fin danio... And potted pond plants- a lot of them are low lighting plants. Laced java fern, java moss, anubias nana and some larger swords.

Here's what I use as my guidelines for lighting scenarios- <2 per gallon = low light 3-4= medium/ high lighting, 5 and above high intensity plants OR if over 10000K spectrum = marine/ reef lighting... Just my observations.

Hairgrass is out of the picture for most any tank without at least full spec LED and with that said, even if you went with the lights needed, from personal experience with oranda and ranchu babies, goldfish absolutely love Hairgrass, they tear it out from the roots and shred it until your filters are clogged and poisoning your tank, lol. I now have 2 oranda in a 90g hex, replaced my mystery snails with Japanese trap door snails added a school of 15 longfinned blue and 10 golden leopard long fin danio... And potted pond plants- a lot of them are low lighting plants. Laced java fern, java moss, anubias nana and some larger swords.

Here's what I use as my guidelines for lighting scenarios- <2 per gallon = low light 3-4= medium/ high lighting, 5 and above high intensity plants OR if over 10000K spectrum = marine/ reef lighting... Just my observations.

Yes I know goldfish will tear up the hairgrass but hairgrass in my experience is not that hard to grow. It spread rapidly and created a nice lush carpet. And it's doesn't need that high of light. And IMO 2 watts per gallon is already low area of med light.

Yes I know goldfish will tear up the hairgrass but hairgrass in my experience is not that hard to grow. It spread rapidly and created a nice lush carpet. And it's doesn't need that high of light. And IMO 2 watts per gallon is already low area of med light.

It's been my experience that, yes, Hairgrass spreads rapidly when you have been able to keep their roots established, proper substrate, ferts and lighting above 4/g watt to grow to my liking... Are you talking about sag, val or Cyperus helfieri?

It's been my experience that, yes, Hairgrass spreads rapidly when you have been able to keep their roots established, proper substrate, ferts and lighting above 4/g watt to grow to my liking... Are you talking about sag, val or Cyperus helfieri?

Phew. 4 watts per gallon..... Though the watts per gallon rule is getting a bit old now that there is LEDs. And where was I supposed to be talking about any of those plants?

Back
Top Bottom