75 Gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I have a 75 gallon planted tank with an fx4 filter and I've been playing with this website aqadvisor and read some reviews on it saying that it said that they're tank was overstocked when it wasn't so im wondering if this stocklist is ok or overstocked in my 75.

Bristle Nose Pleco x2
Bolivian Ram x2
Electric Blue Ram x2
German Blue Ram x2
Angelfish x2
Siamese Algae Eater x5
African Butterfly x2
Royal Whiptail Catfish x2
Boesmani Rainbowfish x10

You could keep all of those fish depending on how much water you want to change a week. I would drop the Algae Eaters. Some varieties grow quite large over time. Might replace them with some interesting Loaches like YO YO' s.
Might change out the Angel idea too. With just two Angels the potential for aggression towards each other increases. Consider adding a few more Rainbows like the Neon Dwarf Rainbow, or the Turquoise.
It's all a matter of taste. Hope I helped.

I was thinking of doing 50-75% water changes a week and ive already got 4 of the algae eaters and im quite fond of them ive seen the get 5+ inches but id rather not get rid of them, ive also got 3 angels and waiting for a pair, I do like the turquoise and red rainbows how many of those could I add? also could I get the loaches with that stock?.

I think you are overstocking the tank. Maybe not initially but Bosemani rainbows get big, like 4-5 inches. I have a dozen Bosemani rainbows, half full size and half full grown, and 4 clown loaches in a 90 gallon tank and it’s a full house. Angelfish also get large.

Making a 75% WC weekly would enable you to keep virtually all the noted fish, but it would be grossly over crowded. If some type of disease outbreak were to occur, it likely would spread very quickly through out the entire tank population. I've learned that the hard way.
Research all the different types of fish you want, their requirements, then make your decisions. No matter which way you go there will have to be "adjustments" made regarding stock combinations, rehoming, aquascaping and more. That's all part of the fun and frustration of the hobby.

Probably not the best idea... you're putting delicate rams on the bottom with bulldozers and a whiptail catfish? Not to mention rams thrive in warmer, extremely clean water.

I tend to lean towards fewer species and more of each species. Rather than one or two of this and that, get a dozen of this and a dozen of those. Not only are the fish happier in groups, but each species has somewhat different requirements and with fewer species you are less likely to go outside those parameters.
Should you get fewer rainbows? I think so. And I'd rethink the rest of the fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom