75G stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey y'all,

Stocking up my new 75G tank. I'm not a noob with cycling, etc so yeah it's cycled and ready to go. The biggest tank I've ever had was a 46 bowfront so this is a massive upgrade for me in terms of opening doors for new species. I currently have 4 cory cats (survived the Texas freeze somehow), 1 black moor, and 2 platys. I want to add more corys for sure but want other fish. The Black Moor is fully grown. If I can find another "fun" fish, that would be amazing.

I have a couple pieces of Texas Holey Rock I'm throwing in there and a couple plants I'm bringing over from my old tank, I'm starting pretty fresh.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

I have to get a new test kit today when I go to lunch and can post those results. I have a few big pieces of Texas Holey Rock, so I would have to make sure to factor in the fact that it could raise the pH.

My last house, which is close to here, had 7.2-7.5 out of the tap. I imagine it would be very similar here. Most of my experiences here, the water runs on the harder side

Back
Top Bottom