75g Tank stand advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to the lfs to pick up a new 75g tank this week I am most likely going to get a 48L 18-1/2w 21H. My biggest problem is what to do about a stand. I do not want to spend a lot of money on a stand because to be honest I won't have a lot left after paying for the tank and some new fish. So I am looking for advice. Has anyone found any relatively inexpensive store bought stands or is my only real option to build one myself? I'm fairly handy but am currently living in an apartment complex so if I do have to build one it will have to be done at my parents house. I will then have the added hassle of having to transport the stand .If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them and like I said I'm looking for low cost don't really care about how it looks for now just want something functional for the time being. Thanks for the help.

So I was searching on Google and I came up with this think this is the way I'm going to go for now. Anyone know if there is any reason this won't work?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390789758.790034.jpg

The easiest/cheapest option would be a few 2x4's and a box of 3" screws. Make 2 boxes the size of the tank, connect them with pieces on the inside of the boxes however tall you want the tank to stand and make some cross braces. Throw a cheap curtian or sheet around the outside to hide everything.

hahaha that is funny. I wouldnt trust the stability of blocks. But i guess with all the weight on top of them they wouldnt go anywhere. I would still do all wood.

Yeah that was my thoughts on the blocks as well and I kind of came to the same conclusion with the weight keeping them in place but I'm not totally sold on it. I will probably build one at my parents house but was hoping for an easier way out. But I don't really want to risk anything happening to the new tank so I will probably just do it right.

You might be able to find a "real" stand for even cheaper then the 2x4 and screws. Unless you have some scraps, and it will be free. I have seen stands for common sized tanks for $20

Yeah I'm going to hit some of the local chain stores tomorrow and see what they have. My biggest problem is I have a small 4dr car so getting the material home will be a hassle. I can get the material from work at cost but I don't have a pickup truck to get it home. I think if I can get one under a $100 I might just have to bit the bullet. Thanks for the input.

I think you should be able to fin one for under 100$.. Look around, there are great deals on online ads! Good luck :)

The iron ones are $75 on EBay, free shipping, no worries about getting it level and sturdy or transportation.

But, wanted to say that I bought a clean, used 65 setup off CL with a solid wood stand, Eheim 2215, etc. for less than the stand costs all by itself. Yes, I needed to fold the back seats down in a van but if you can get the tank home, you could get the tank and stand in two trips. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom